Design Name

  • bobn181
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2 11:41 AM
      Hello, fellow Bolgerians. I have plans for the Chebacco Navigator, which I think is really neat. But the more I look at Bolger articles, the more I'm drawn to his slot-top designs. In the last MAIB Susanne had a cartoon of his "Wandervogel" concept. I really like the esthetics and layout of the William D. Jochems, but it's too much boat for my situation. I know I have seen at least a cartoon of something smaller than the WDJ, probably a cat-yawl, but I can't find it. Does anyone know the name of the design, or where I can find anything about it? I hate to bother Susanne if I don't have to. Thanks.
    • John Huft
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2 3:07 PM
        Jim Michalak has a lot of smaller slot top designs.  www.jimsboats.com
        John Boy

        If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.
        Theodore Roosevelt

        Hello, fellow Bolgerians. I have plans for the Chebacco Navigator, which I think is really neat. But the more I look at Bolger articles, the more I'm drawn to his slot-top designs. In the last MAIB Susanne had a cartoon of his "Wandervogel" concept. I really like the esthetics and layout of the William D. Jochems, but it's too much boat for my situation. I know I have seen at least a cartoon of something smaller than the WDJ, probably a cat-yawl, but I can't find it. Does anyone know the name of the design, or where I can find anything about it? I hate to bother Susanne if I don't have to. Thanks.

      • Dave Gentry
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3 8:15 AM
          "Camper" seems to be the smaller version of the WDJ, but reports of the original were not favorable. They thought it was too unstable to use, IIRC. But, they weren't sailors, and they didn't actually sail it, as far as I know.
          In any case, I think the original Birdwatcher, also lot less boat than the WDJ, is superior to Camper {based on nothing but my own preferences}. It is though, at the very least, well proven.

          bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bobn181" <bob-norris@...> wrote:

          > Hello, fellow Bolgerians. I have plans for the Chebacco Navigator, which I think is really neat. But the more I look at Bolger articles, the more I'm drawn to his slot-top designs. In the last MAIB Susanne had a cartoon of his "Wandervogel" concept. I really like the esthetics and layout of the William D. Jochems, but it's too much boat for my situation. I know I have seen at least a cartoon of something smaller than the WDJ, probably a cat-yawl, but I can't find it. Does anyone know the name of the design, or where I can find anything about it? I hate to bother Susanne if I don't have to. Thanks.

        • BruceHallman
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3 8:38 AM
            On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Dave Gentry <alias1719@...> wrote:

            > "Camper" seems to be the smaller version of the WDJ, but reports of the original were not favorable.

            Trying to fill in the details on this, reported last August by SA:
            "the first CAMPER completed in California suggest the need for some
            ballast or lighter rig or both "

            Personally knowing a little about the Sacramento Delta, during summer
            time the winds can really be howling there, especially in the
            afternoons.

            One thing I recall that is similar about the WDJ and Birdwatcher
            designs is that they are intended to be sailed heel over
            significantly. I am not sure about Camper 640, but looking at the
            lines, it seems that it could tolerate a lot heel under sail, but
            maybe the bottom doesn't weigh enough to right it if knocked down and
            the loose gear all fell towards windward?

            Photo album here:

            http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/ad108/pramsafloat/

            David 'Thorne' Luckhardt put it up for sale in Aug 2009 with the
            reason given: "(that owing a boat was) no longer a
            fit with my life, which has changed dramatically in the last year",
            including a move from the Sacramento to Seattle.

            The MAIB article mentioned the owner as being a 'Peter Ramsey', maybe
            the boat was sold once circa 2005 while in construction?
          • Myles J. Swift
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3 10:42 AM

              Just a quick comment on the slot top designs. Some of them use a slot top that is close to the length of the boat. Great for bad weather, drizzly days, etc. You are inside the boat. Some are half the length with a cockpit of some type. You may not like being inside when the weather is not terrible. On the other hand if you are building something light, without ballast, the full length slot designs are very stable since all your weight  is at the lowest point, not a couple of feet higher on deck.

              MylesJ

            • Andrew
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3 6:18 PM
                I can't help you with the small WDJ - but I will point out that the Chebbacco #540 RD (the raised deck design) has a slot top cabin with a long hatch that can cover it. The hatch contains two smaller sliding hatches, one at the mast and the other at the companionway entry. So you can have the best of both worlds.

                Andrew