Isometric of Viking Longboat, design 572

  • BruceHallman
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2011
      Here is the strake lofting. By my count the strakes of this 38 foot
      boat could be cut out of 40 sheets of 1/2 inch plywood. Bulkheads add
      perhaps ten more sheets, and the decking about six. It sure would be
      fun to build a boat like this, though it is real big. I think a 2/3rds
      scale down would be twice as easy to achieve and would be pretty nice
      too.

      Here is the URL of some pics, of interest because they show a layout
      of the rigging details of a Viking Longboat square rig...

      http://www.hallman.org/bolger/572/
    • Carl Andersen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2011
        Den 01-03-2011 22:33, BruceHallman skrev:

        Here is the strake lofting. By my count the strakes of this 38 foot
        boat could be cut out of 40 sheets of 1/2 inch plywood. Bulkheads add
        perhaps ten more sheets, and the decking about six. It sure would be
        fun to build a boat like this, though it is real big. I think a 2/3rds
        scale down would be twice as easy to achieve and would be pretty nice
        too.

        Here is the URL of some pics, of interest because they show a layout
        of the rigging details of a Viking Longboat square rig...

        http://www.hallman.org/bolger/572/

        Thanks Bruce
        As a Dane I can identify with the type of boat :-)
        --

        Carl Andersen