Re: [bolger] Re: Bolgers most recent, Advanced Sharpie AS-34 isometric [1 Attachment]

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 28, 2011
      Far out-- attachments work on this list. Pic is the EP

      HJ

      On 2/28/2011 7:16 PM, Harry James wrote:
      > I run a 6 hp Tohatsu on a Pearson Triton and tow an Elegant Punt. The EP
      > takes .1 to .2 of a knot off my 5kts cruise.
      >
      > HJ
      >
      > On 2/28/2011 1:09 AM, c.ruzer wrote:
      >> --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "captreed@..."<captreed@...> wrote:
      >>> I've towed both behind my Santana 27...
      >> Thanks Reed. Maybe a stretched out Tortoise would not drag so much as Brick - a June Bug?

    • c.ruzer
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 2, 2011
        Harry, you'd hardly know it was there, hey! Thanks. Have you also towed a Gull and noticed how much slower you go then? EP would be a good tender, but has it sufficient lifeboat capability? I'd thought perhaps a standard Brick with some lifeboaty inclusions, but maybe something like a Surf or June Bug that could be reasonably rowed some distance as well as sailed quite acceptably. The JB might be better to modify? Something that might hold a hundred pounds of food and two-hundred of water and such necessities? Something perhaps like a stretched Rubens Nymph with a floor over a ballast tank of fresh water perhaps? I saw something like that on the river used as a tender by a Dutch yacht once. It had a tiny well near midships for a small outboard too. Got right along at near idle, and very stable. That's getting a long way away from the Tortoise/Brick/EP I suppose.

        > I run a 6 hp Tohatsu on a Pearson Triton and tow an Elegant Punt. The EP
        > takes .1 to .2 of a knot off my 5kts cruise.
        >
        > HJ

      • Fred Schumacher
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 3, 2011
          On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 9:35 PM, c.ruzer <c.ruzer@...> wrote:

          I'd thought perhaps a standard Brick with some lifeboaty inclusions, but maybe something like a Surf or June Bug that could be reasonably rowed some distance as well as sailed quite acceptably. The JB might be better to modify? Something that might hold a hundred pounds of food and two-hundred of water and such necessities?

          A few months ago I sketched out a 60% scale-up of Old Shoe to see how it would work as a live-in cruiser and discovered that the side curve of Old Shoe almost perfectly matched up with that of June Bug. So I sketched in a recess in the deck for June Bug to be stored, and it fit, without interfering too much with the cabin. It was interesting to see the same concept used in AS34. A ship's boat in a storage recess is an idea which should be explored more.

          fred s.
        • Stefano
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 4, 2011
            I have been thinking almost the same thing lately: JB upside-down on one side of an AS-32 deck been flush with th esame deck. The side of the recess would be all Lexan: a nice lookout in fair weather that would be protected by JB under way. Main section would be asimmetric and JB blocking should be well thought thru.
            Another idea is: why not putting a BW top on a big boat cockpit? Does anybody know of any design like this?
            Ste