[bolger] Re: Drain Plugs

  • Samson family
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 1999
      FYI - Picture of Tim Smith's stretched Diablo is to be found in Chebacco
      News #28.
      -- bill.samson@...

      Chebacco News can be viewed on:
      http://members.xoom.com/billsamson

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 1999
        monic-@... wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=611
        > Does anyone else use drain plugs on their boats?
        >
        > After the first week my Galley was actually outside I was shocked to
        > realize rain would actually collect inside it. So I got a brace and a
        1
        > inch bit and made a hole at the lowest rocker point. After it dried I
        > took a PVC threaded end and epoxied that in place, first stuffing
        paper
        > towells into it to keep the threads clean. After it cured I faired it
        > on the botom with a belt sander. The cap screws in from the inside.
        > Cost me 2-3 bucks for the PVC fittings. Has worked for years now.
        >
        > Anyone else do something like this?
        > Good idea on drain plugs, did the same on a much larger vessel. You
        can make the scoops out of a larger PVC pipe. Cut it at an angle, then
        epoxy tape it over the drain and paint to match. Brad
      • timk_smith@fortunemail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 1999
          i used a bronze half-inch garboard plug with a socket attached from the
          outside. she still floats. but if she sinks, i'd consider a diablo
          grande. the plans weren't yet available when i built mine. don't know
          of anyone who's built the bigger boat, but the extra freeboard might be
          nice. on the other hand, that long skinny shape is awfully good in a
          quartering sea....