Re: [bolger] Re: Sharpie Catamaran Concept

  • BruceHallman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 18, 2011
      On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:35 PM, donnieraydavis
      <donnieraydavis@...> wrote:

      > I agree, the only thing I find strange about this design is the flat
      > front of the superstructure.

      A couple things about that flat front. The top edge of the flat front
      is necessary structurally (fore-aft strength for the mast step), plus
      the entire flat front serves to encase the wooden truss that serves to
      provide vertical support for the mast step, and bilateral strength &
      stiffness connecting the hulls together and resisting the vertical
      force vector caused by the mast stays..

      (This truss could be open air but...) I am guessing that PCB figured
      that being that the purpose of this design concept was "a cruiser" and
      that staying dry is key towards comfortable cruising, that enclosing
      the front wall would serve as an effective spray screen. Certainly,
      the sponsons would be raising splashes and wind spray while sailing
      this boat.