Sharpie Catamaran Concept

  • White & Laur White
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2011
      Bruce Hallman is too kind when he calls this design ugly. To me, it combines the best of Bolger's ideas ... ugly when the objective  is functional at low cost, and beautiful when esthetics are important. The superstructure is functional, if you don't mind crawling to windward while fighting that godawful windbrake. The rest of the design is gorgeous. Substitute a tent for the box, and you have a beautiful catamaran with a functional dance floor, as Bruce implies.

      - Will

    • BruceHallman
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17, 2011
        On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 6:50 AM, White & Laur White
        <omegacubed@...> wrote:

        > Bruce Hallman is too kind when he calls this design ugly. To me, it combines the best of Bolger's ideas ... ugly when the objective  is functional at low cost, and beautiful when esthetics are important. The superstructure is functional, if you don't mind crawling to windward while fighting that godawful windbrake. The rest of the design is gorgeous. Substitute a tent for the box, and you have a beautiful catamaran with a functional dance floor, as Bruce implies.
        >
        > - Will

        I am not sure the top priority is always windward performance. The
        top priority with this concept cartoon was "cheap home-built cruising
        catamaran". There are plenty of other catamaran designs to choose
        from if you want racing and windward performance. I can think of none
        for "cheap home-built cruising", at least where you get this patio
        boat with aluminum lawn furniture, plus where you are sheltered and
        dry like this. Good cruising definitely requires dry and comfortable
        in my book. Sprawling space also is a plus.

        Also, while the walls and windows seem huge, putting it in
        perspective, I count about 50 sf of windage at a height of 4'3" off
        the water versus 280 sf of sail on a 32 foot mast. I place my bet on
        the tall sail being stronger than the low deckwall.
      • donnieraydavis
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 17, 2011
          I agree, the only thing I find strange about this design is the flat
          front of the superstructure. She's practically a 3/4 size aukland cat
          with a different rig and wood floor.
          Hats off to Bruce who has built more Bolger boats than anyone.

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, White & Laur White <omegacubed@...> wrote:

          > Bruce Hallman is too kind when he calls this design ugly. To me, it combines the best of Bolger's ideas ... ugly when the objective is functional at low cost, and beautiful when esthetics are important. The superstructure is functional, if you don't mind crawling to windward while fighting that godawful windbrake. The rest of the design is gorgeous. Substitute a tent for the box, and you have a beautiful catamaran with a functional dance floor, as Bruce implies.
          >
          > - Will

        • BruceHallman
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 18, 2011
            On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:35 PM, donnieraydavis
            <donnieraydavis@...> wrote:

            > I agree, the only thing I find strange about this design is the flat
            > front of the superstructure.

            A couple things about that flat front. The top edge of the flat front
            is necessary structurally (fore-aft strength for the mast step), plus
            the entire flat front serves to encase the wooden truss that serves to
            provide vertical support for the mast step, and bilateral strength &
            stiffness connecting the hulls together and resisting the vertical
            force vector caused by the mast stays..

            (This truss could be open air but...) I am guessing that PCB figured
            that being that the purpose of this design concept was "a cruiser" and
            that staying dry is key towards comfortable cruising, that enclosing
            the front wall would serve as an effective spray screen. Certainly,
            the sponsons would be raising splashes and wind spray while sailing
            this boat.