[bolger] Re: EC Recreational Craft Directive

  • Samson family
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
      Well discovered Pippo! You're a damn sight more useful than any Euro MP
      I've ever encountered.

      Unfortunately their site is down at the moment (surprise!) but I'll be sure
      to study it in detail and see where to go from here.

      Thanks!

      Bill
      -- bill.samson@...

      Chebacco News can be viewed on:
      http://members.xoom.com/billsamson

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
        Hi,

        RCD webpage is back up.

        Seems the Recreational Craft Directive is aimed primarily at boat
        manufacturers (God help them!) trying to sell boats in Europe.

        The good news for amateur builders is that they don't have to comply. The
        bad news is that they may not sell their boats within 5 years of first
        launching them, unless they have a compliance certificate, user's manual,
        builder's plate with the appropriate wording, and all the other irritating
        bits'n bobs the Eurocrats have thought up to make life difficult and to kill
        off any originality in boat design.

        Traditional designs are exempt, too, though the definition of 'traditional'
        seems a bit vague. It's not clear (to me at any rate) whether a
        wood/glass/epoxy hull built to traditional lines would qualify.

        Sigh!

        Bill

        PS Kayaks are exempt! Better get on with that baidarka I'm building - The
        Thought Police won't be able to touch me in that!
        -- bill.samson@...

        Chebacco News can be viewed on:
        http://members.xoom.com/billsamson

        >Dear Bill - they're not that bad though ;-) !!!!
        >
        >http://europa.eu.int/comm/dg03/directs/dg3d/d5/reccraft.htm
        >
        >Best, Pippo

        >-- Check out your eGroup's private Chat room
        >-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=bolger&m=1

      • GHC
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
          I'm sorry, but, what are they going to do to you if you sell your Chebacco
          to your neighbor?

          GHC

        • ernie@surfree.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
            I can well understand your confusion attempting to be legal to a system
            that has neither concept nor reason what traditional boats are all
            about. Nor that reasonable men may decide to take reasonable risks on
            their own.

            Now here's my thought... why not instead of calling it a "boat" call it
            a "lawn ornament," and if the end user decides on their own to mis-use
            the product, that’s not your concern.

            Just a thought.
          • Bill Samson
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 1999
              Probably nothing, unless the neighbour goes and has an accident and there's
              an investigation. Even then, it's unlikely that any court of law will have
              heard of the RCD. It's really this thinly veiled 'Big Brother' thing that
              bugs me. I guess these guys won't be happy until they've got something on
              everybody that they can threaten them with.

              Bill

            • Samson family
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 1999
                Lovely idea, Ernie! I wonder how long it'll take them to figure the scam?

                Bill
                -- bill.samson@...

                Chebacco News can be viewed on:
                http://members.xoom.com/billsamson

                I can well understand your confusion attempting to be legal to a system
                that has neither concept nor reason what traditional boats are all
                about. Nor that reasonable men may decide to take reasonable risks on
                their own.

                Now here's my thought... why not instead of calling it a "boat" call it
                a "lawn ornament," and if the end user decides on their own to mis-use
                the product, that’s not your concern.

                Just a thought.

                -- Create a poll/survey for your eGroup!
                -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=bolger&m=1