Re: Wood and Epoxy/Glass Suppliers?

  • adventures_in_astrophotography
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
      David,

      > I am in the planning stages of a fairly large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles of lumber) Any hot tips on venders?

      I had a good experience ordering plywood from Homestead in Ohio.
      http://www.homesteadhardwoods.com/

      The price was the best I found for BS1088 or Marine Fir. That was over a year ago, so things may have changed, but I was very happy with the product, price, and shipping arrangements. The sheets were well crated, and the shipping company forked it right into my pickup at their terminal. Of course, even my truck can't carry 200 sheets at once (unless it's 4mm) - what are you building?

      Jon
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
        I think I read that Illinois takes 400 sheets.

        HJ

        On 2/4/2011 5:29 AM, daschultz2000 wrote:
        > I immediately though "Illinois", 'cause that's a complete plan. I don't think PB&F has completed the I-60 yet.

      • sirdarnell
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
          Jim Michalak in his book lists (for good prices on epoxy, glass, fillers and supplies):

          www.Raka.com

          www.uscomposites.com

          and

          www.fgci.com

          Get quotes from each and avoid 1 to 1 mixes and 5 minute type epoxies as they are less waterproof according to the engineers.
          David

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Amelia" <david@...> wrote:

          > Hello Bolgeristas! Long time no see!
          >
          > I am in the planning stages of a fairly large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles of lumber) Any hot tips on venders?
          >
          > Hope you are all doing well!
          >
          > YIBB,
          > David

        • BruceHallman
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
            For several years now I have been buying my epoxy from the eBay vendor
            "polymerproducts", and have been very satisfied all around.

            http://cgi.ebay.com/310219219293

            Currently they are selling epoxy for $50 a gallon delivered, (+sales tax in CA)
          • dennislancaster36
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
              I get mine from FCI in Florida: http://www.fgci.com/

              Dennis

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                I get my wood from: http://www.edensaw.com/products_list.asp?gr=26&cat=3

                Dennis

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                  Wrong coast for Dave, I am a very satisfied customer of Edensaw also,
                  been dealing with them for over 25 years.

                  HJ

                  On 2/4/2011 10:18 AM, dennislancaster36 wrote:
                  > I get my wood from: http://www.edensaw.com/products_list.asp?gr=26&cat=3
                  >
                  > Dennis
                  >
                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dennislancaster36"<dennislancaster36@...> wrote:
                  >> I get mine from FCI in Florida: http://www.fgci.com/
                  >>
                  >> Dennis
                  >>
                  >> --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, BruceHallman<hallman@> wrote:
                  >>> For several years now I have been buying my epoxy from the eBay vendor
                  >>> "polymerproducts", and have been very satisfied all around.
                  >>>
                  >>> http://cgi.ebay.com/310219219293
                  >>>
                  >>> Currently they are selling epoxy for $50 a gallon delivered, (+sales tax in CA)

                • Stephen Dampier
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 5, 2011
                    I built my Tolman Skiff using fiberglass and System 3 epoxy from www.fiberglasssupply.com. They are good people.

                    Shipping is a big consideration in buying both glass and epoxy.

                    SteveOh
                  • futabachan
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 18, 2011
                      David:

                      > No. Not the I60. I'm afraid after my C38 adventures I've caught
                      > the bluewater bug.

                      What are you building?

                      --
                      Susan Davis <futabachan@...>