Re: [bolger] Re: Wood and Epoxy/Glass Suppliers?

  • John Balch
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 3, 2011
      Raka-  good choice.
      Also- fiberglass site.com
       Not sure of spelling.

      John "Chris" Balch

      Travelin' Light
      Tanzer 22 #668

      Torneremo #96
      Chrysler Mutineer

      ALF II (A Little Fun)
      Super Snark

      From: Amelia <david@...>
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, February 3, 2011 7:21:45 PM
      Subject: [bolger] Re: Wood and Epoxy/Glass Suppliers?

      No. Not the I60. I'm afraid after my C38 adventures I've caught the bluewater bug.

      Used one of our Gulls all last Summer as a tender. Between the flair of the Gull, the tumblehome of the C38 and the 100 pound Newfie loading and unloading was a bit of a trick, but even with the whole family, the dog and groceries that boat sure pulls nice!

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rick Bedard <sctree@...> wrote:

      > David,
      >
      > You can't drop "large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles
      > of lumber" on us and expect advice wi telling us more details... I-60 perhaps?
      >
      > Rick
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Mark Albanese

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 3, 2011
          A good epoxy and fresh. http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/

          Fillers and suplies. http://www.mertons.com/

          Jon

          > I've seen the suggestion written several places to get some kind of
          > builders status, whether with a number or less formally.
          >
          > If that really helps anywhere, I suppose it would on something big as
          > that.
          >

          > On Feb 3, 2011, at 2:59 PM, Amelia wrote:
          >
          > > Hello Bolgeristas! Long time no see!
          > >
          > > I am in the planning stages of a fairly large build (200+ sheets of
          > > plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles of lumber) Any hot tips on
          > > venders?
          > >
          > > Hope you are all doing well!
          > >
          > > YIBB,
          > > David

        • daschultz2000
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
            I immediately though "Illinois", 'cause that's a complete plan. I don't think PB&F has completed the I-60 yet.
          • adventures_in_astrophotography
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
              David,

              > I am in the planning stages of a fairly large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles of lumber) Any hot tips on venders?

              I had a good experience ordering plywood from Homestead in Ohio.
              http://www.homesteadhardwoods.com/

              The price was the best I found for BS1088 or Marine Fir. That was over a year ago, so things may have changed, but I was very happy with the product, price, and shipping arrangements. The sheets were well crated, and the shipping company forked it right into my pickup at their terminal. Of course, even my truck can't carry 200 sheets at once (unless it's 4mm) - what are you building?

              Jon
            • Harry James
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                I think I read that Illinois takes 400 sheets.

                HJ

                On 2/4/2011 5:29 AM, daschultz2000 wrote:
                > I immediately though "Illinois", 'cause that's a complete plan. I don't think PB&F has completed the I-60 yet.

              • sirdarnell
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                  Jim Michalak in his book lists (for good prices on epoxy, glass, fillers and supplies):

                  www.Raka.com

                  www.uscomposites.com

                  and

                  www.fgci.com

                  Get quotes from each and avoid 1 to 1 mixes and 5 minute type epoxies as they are less waterproof according to the engineers.
                  David

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Amelia" <david@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Bolgeristas! Long time no see!
                  >
                  > I am in the planning stages of a fairly large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles of lumber) Any hot tips on venders?
                  >
                  > Hope you are all doing well!
                  >
                  > YIBB,
                  > David

                • BruceHallman
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                    For several years now I have been buying my epoxy from the eBay vendor
                    "polymerproducts", and have been very satisfied all around.

                    http://cgi.ebay.com/310219219293

                    Currently they are selling epoxy for $50 a gallon delivered, (+sales tax in CA)
                  • dennislancaster36
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                      I get mine from FCI in Florida: http://www.fgci.com/

                      Dennis

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                        I get my wood from: http://www.edensaw.com/products_list.asp?gr=26&cat=3

                        Dennis

                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                          Wrong coast for Dave, I am a very satisfied customer of Edensaw also,
                          been dealing with them for over 25 years.

                          HJ

                          On 2/4/2011 10:18 AM, dennislancaster36 wrote:
                          > I get my wood from: http://www.edensaw.com/products_list.asp?gr=26&cat=3
                          >
                          > Dennis
                          >
                          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dennislancaster36"<dennislancaster36@...> wrote:
                          >> I get mine from FCI in Florida: http://www.fgci.com/
                          >>
                          >> Dennis
                          >>
                          >> --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, BruceHallman<hallman@> wrote:
                          >>> For several years now I have been buying my epoxy from the eBay vendor
                          >>> "polymerproducts", and have been very satisfied all around.
                          >>>
                          >>> http://cgi.ebay.com/310219219293
                          >>>
                          >>> Currently they are selling epoxy for $50 a gallon delivered, (+sales tax in CA)

                        • Stephen Dampier
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 5, 2011
                            I built my Tolman Skiff using fiberglass and System 3 epoxy from www.fiberglasssupply.com. They are good people.

                            Shipping is a big consideration in buying both glass and epoxy.

                            SteveOh
                          • futabachan
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 18, 2011
                              David:

                              > No. Not the I60. I'm afraid after my C38 adventures I've caught
                              > the bluewater bug.

                              What are you building?

                              --
                              Susan Davis <futabachan@...>