Re: [bolger] Re: Wood and Epoxy/Glass Suppliers?

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 3, 2011
      C38--Columbia 38, Cal 38, Catalina 38?

      HJ

      On 2/3/2011 3:21 PM, Amelia wrote:
      > No. Not the I60. I'm afraid after my C38 adventures I've caught the bluewater bug.
      >
      > Used one of our Gulls all last Summer as a tender. Between the flair of the Gull, the tumblehome of the C38 and the 100 pound Newfie loading and unloading was a bit of a trick, but even with the whole family, the dog and groceries that boat sure pulls nice!
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rick Bedard<sctree@...> wrote:
      >> David,
      >>
      >> You can't drop "large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles
      >> of lumber" on us and expect advice wi telling us more details... I-60 perhaps?
      >>
      >> Rick
      >>

      >> ________________________________

    • John Huft
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 3, 2011
        Oh, I forgot, don't forget the lumber mill, you can buy direct.
        John Boy

        ."It's the tides, man.  They can either work for you or they can work against you...
        Confidentially, I've had this problem with the tides before."
        --Captain Ron

        No. Not the I60. I'm afraid after my C38 adventures I've caught the bluewater bug.

        Used one of our Gulls all last Summer as a tender. Between the flair of the Gull, the tumblehome of the C38 and the 100 pound Newfie loading and unloading was a bit of a trick, but even with the whole family, the dog and groceries that boat sure pulls nice!

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rick Bedard <sctree@...> wrote:

        > David,
        >
        > You can't drop "large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles
        > of lumber" on us and expect advice wi telling us more details... I-60 perhaps?
        >
        > Rick
        >

        > ________________________________

      • John Balch
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 3, 2011
          Raka-  good choice.
          Also- fiberglass site.com
           Not sure of spelling.

          John "Chris" Balch

          Travelin' Light
          Tanzer 22 #668

          Torneremo #96
          Chrysler Mutineer

          ALF II (A Little Fun)
          Super Snark

          No. Not the I60. I'm afraid after my C38 adventures I've caught the bluewater bug.

          Used one of our Gulls all last Summer as a tender. Between the flair of the Gull, the tumblehome of the C38 and the 100 pound Newfie loading and unloading was a bit of a trick, but even with the whole family, the dog and groceries that boat sure pulls nice!

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rick Bedard <sctree@...> wrote:

          > David,
          >
          > You can't drop "large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles
          > of lumber" on us and expect advice wi telling us more details... I-60 perhaps?
          >
          > Rick
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Mark Albanese

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 3, 2011
              A good epoxy and fresh. http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/

              Fillers and suplies. http://www.mertons.com/

              Jon

              > I've seen the suggestion written several places to get some kind of
              > builders status, whether with a number or less formally.
              >
              > If that really helps anywhere, I suppose it would on something big as
              > that.
              >

              > On Feb 3, 2011, at 2:59 PM, Amelia wrote:
              >
              > > Hello Bolgeristas! Long time no see!
              > >
              > > I am in the planning stages of a fairly large build (200+ sheets of
              > > plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles of lumber) Any hot tips on
              > > venders?
              > >
              > > Hope you are all doing well!
              > >
              > > YIBB,
              > > David

            • daschultz2000
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                I immediately though "Illinois", 'cause that's a complete plan. I don't think PB&F has completed the I-60 yet.
              • adventures_in_astrophotography
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                  David,

                  > I am in the planning stages of a fairly large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles of lumber) Any hot tips on venders?

                  I had a good experience ordering plywood from Homestead in Ohio.
                  http://www.homesteadhardwoods.com/

                  The price was the best I found for BS1088 or Marine Fir. That was over a year ago, so things may have changed, but I was very happy with the product, price, and shipping arrangements. The sheets were well crated, and the shipping company forked it right into my pickup at their terminal. Of course, even my truck can't carry 200 sheets at once (unless it's 4mm) - what are you building?

                  Jon
                • Harry James
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                    I think I read that Illinois takes 400 sheets.

                    HJ

                    On 2/4/2011 5:29 AM, daschultz2000 wrote:
                    > I immediately though "Illinois", 'cause that's a complete plan. I don't think PB&F has completed the I-60 yet.

                  • sirdarnell
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                      Jim Michalak in his book lists (for good prices on epoxy, glass, fillers and supplies):

                      www.Raka.com

                      www.uscomposites.com

                      and

                      www.fgci.com

                      Get quotes from each and avoid 1 to 1 mixes and 5 minute type epoxies as they are less waterproof according to the engineers.
                      David

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Amelia" <david@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Bolgeristas! Long time no see!
                      >
                      > I am in the planning stages of a fairly large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles of lumber) Any hot tips on venders?
                      >
                      > Hope you are all doing well!
                      >
                      > YIBB,
                      > David

                    • BruceHallman
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                        For several years now I have been buying my epoxy from the eBay vendor
                        "polymerproducts", and have been very satisfied all around.

                        http://cgi.ebay.com/310219219293

                        Currently they are selling epoxy for $50 a gallon delivered, (+sales tax in CA)
                      • dennislancaster36
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                          I get mine from FCI in Florida: http://www.fgci.com/

                          Dennis

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                            I get my wood from: http://www.edensaw.com/products_list.asp?gr=26&cat=3

                            Dennis

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                              Wrong coast for Dave, I am a very satisfied customer of Edensaw also,
                              been dealing with them for over 25 years.

                              HJ

                              On 2/4/2011 10:18 AM, dennislancaster36 wrote:
                              > I get my wood from: http://www.edensaw.com/products_list.asp?gr=26&cat=3
                              >
                              > Dennis
                              >
                              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dennislancaster36"<dennislancaster36@...> wrote:
                              >> I get mine from FCI in Florida: http://www.fgci.com/
                              >>
                              >> Dennis
                              >>
                              >> --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, BruceHallman<hallman@> wrote:
                              >>> For several years now I have been buying my epoxy from the eBay vendor
                              >>> "polymerproducts", and have been very satisfied all around.
                              >>>
                              >>> http://cgi.ebay.com/310219219293
                              >>>
                              >>> Currently they are selling epoxy for $50 a gallon delivered, (+sales tax in CA)

                            • Stephen Dampier
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 5, 2011
                                I built my Tolman Skiff using fiberglass and System 3 epoxy from www.fiberglasssupply.com. They are good people.

                                Shipping is a big consideration in buying both glass and epoxy.

                                SteveOh
                              • futabachan
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 18, 2011
                                  David:

                                  > No. Not the I60. I'm afraid after my C38 adventures I've caught
                                  > the bluewater bug.

                                  What are you building?

                                  --
                                  Susan Davis <futabachan@...>