Re: [bolger] Wood and Epoxy/Glass Suppliers?

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 3, 2011
      Progressive is a little bit north of you, I have not used his product, I
      have stayed with Raka as their prices are very competitive with shipping
      thrown in to AK. Worth a look just to experience the worst web business
      site out there.

      http://www.epoxyproducts.com/

      Depending on your time frame you might look for a small mill in an area
      that has lumber you can use and by green rough cut. That is what I do,
      sits in the shed until I need it, by the time I get to it it has
      seasoned for a few years. I love working clear VG spruce for $2.50 a
      board foot.

      Is this the project you were going to do with Bob Wise a few years back?

      HJ

      On 2/3/2011 1:59 PM, Amelia wrote:
      > Hello Bolgeristas! Long time no see!
      >
      > I am in the planning stages of a fairly large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles of lumber) Any hot tips on venders?
      >
      > Hope you are all doing well!
      >
      > YIBB,
      > David

    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 3, 2011
        C38--Columbia 38, Cal 38, Catalina 38?

        HJ

        On 2/3/2011 3:21 PM, Amelia wrote:
        > No. Not the I60. I'm afraid after my C38 adventures I've caught the bluewater bug.
        >
        > Used one of our Gulls all last Summer as a tender. Between the flair of the Gull, the tumblehome of the C38 and the 100 pound Newfie loading and unloading was a bit of a trick, but even with the whole family, the dog and groceries that boat sure pulls nice!
        >

        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rick Bedard<sctree@...> wrote:
        >> David,
        >>
        >> You can't drop "large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles
        >> of lumber" on us and expect advice wi telling us more details... I-60 perhaps?
        >>
        >> Rick
        >>

        >> ________________________________

      • John Huft
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 3, 2011
          Oh, I forgot, don't forget the lumber mill, you can buy direct.
          John Boy

          ."It's the tides, man.  They can either work for you or they can work against you...
          Confidentially, I've had this problem with the tides before."
          --Captain Ron

          No. Not the I60. I'm afraid after my C38 adventures I've caught the bluewater bug.

          Used one of our Gulls all last Summer as a tender. Between the flair of the Gull, the tumblehome of the C38 and the 100 pound Newfie loading and unloading was a bit of a trick, but even with the whole family, the dog and groceries that boat sure pulls nice!

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rick Bedard <sctree@...> wrote:

          > David,
          >
          > You can't drop "large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles
          > of lumber" on us and expect advice wi telling us more details... I-60 perhaps?
          >
          > Rick
          >

          > ________________________________

        • John Balch
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 3, 2011
            Raka-  good choice.
            Also- fiberglass site.com
             Not sure of spelling.

            John "Chris" Balch

            Travelin' Light
            Tanzer 22 #668

            Torneremo #96
            Chrysler Mutineer

            ALF II (A Little Fun)
            Super Snark

            No. Not the I60. I'm afraid after my C38 adventures I've caught the bluewater bug.

            Used one of our Gulls all last Summer as a tender. Between the flair of the Gull, the tumblehome of the C38 and the 100 pound Newfie loading and unloading was a bit of a trick, but even with the whole family, the dog and groceries that boat sure pulls nice!

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rick Bedard <sctree@...> wrote:

            > David,
            >
            > You can't drop "large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles
            > of lumber" on us and expect advice wi telling us more details... I-60 perhaps?
            >
            > Rick
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Mark Albanese

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 3, 2011
                A good epoxy and fresh. http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/

                Fillers and suplies. http://www.mertons.com/

                Jon

                > I've seen the suggestion written several places to get some kind of
                > builders status, whether with a number or less formally.
                >
                > If that really helps anywhere, I suppose it would on something big as
                > that.
                >

                > On Feb 3, 2011, at 2:59 PM, Amelia wrote:
                >
                > > Hello Bolgeristas! Long time no see!
                > >
                > > I am in the planning stages of a fairly large build (200+ sheets of
                > > plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles of lumber) Any hot tips on
                > > venders?
                > >
                > > Hope you are all doing well!
                > >
                > > YIBB,
                > > David

              • daschultz2000
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                  I immediately though "Illinois", 'cause that's a complete plan. I don't think PB&F has completed the I-60 yet.
                • adventures_in_astrophotography
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                    David,

                    > I am in the planning stages of a fairly large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles of lumber) Any hot tips on venders?

                    I had a good experience ordering plywood from Homestead in Ohio.
                    http://www.homesteadhardwoods.com/

                    The price was the best I found for BS1088 or Marine Fir. That was over a year ago, so things may have changed, but I was very happy with the product, price, and shipping arrangements. The sheets were well crated, and the shipping company forked it right into my pickup at their terminal. Of course, even my truck can't carry 200 sheets at once (unless it's 4mm) - what are you building?

                    Jon
                  • Harry James
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                      I think I read that Illinois takes 400 sheets.

                      HJ

                      On 2/4/2011 5:29 AM, daschultz2000 wrote:
                      > I immediately though "Illinois", 'cause that's a complete plan. I don't think PB&F has completed the I-60 yet.

                    • sirdarnell
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                        Jim Michalak in his book lists (for good prices on epoxy, glass, fillers and supplies):

                        www.Raka.com

                        www.uscomposites.com

                        and

                        www.fgci.com

                        Get quotes from each and avoid 1 to 1 mixes and 5 minute type epoxies as they are less waterproof according to the engineers.
                        David

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Amelia" <david@...> wrote:

                        > Hello Bolgeristas! Long time no see!
                        >
                        > I am in the planning stages of a fairly large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles of lumber) Any hot tips on venders?
                        >
                        > Hope you are all doing well!
                        >
                        > YIBB,
                        > David

                      • BruceHallman
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                          For several years now I have been buying my epoxy from the eBay vendor
                          "polymerproducts", and have been very satisfied all around.

                          http://cgi.ebay.com/310219219293

                          Currently they are selling epoxy for $50 a gallon delivered, (+sales tax in CA)
                        • dennislancaster36
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                            I get mine from FCI in Florida: http://www.fgci.com/

                            Dennis

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                              I get my wood from: http://www.edensaw.com/products_list.asp?gr=26&cat=3

                              Dennis

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                                Wrong coast for Dave, I am a very satisfied customer of Edensaw also,
                                been dealing with them for over 25 years.

                                HJ

                                On 2/4/2011 10:18 AM, dennislancaster36 wrote:
                                > I get my wood from: http://www.edensaw.com/products_list.asp?gr=26&cat=3
                                >
                                > Dennis
                                >
                                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dennislancaster36"<dennislancaster36@...> wrote:
                                >> I get mine from FCI in Florida: http://www.fgci.com/
                                >>
                                >> Dennis
                                >>
                                >> --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, BruceHallman<hallman@> wrote:
                                >>> For several years now I have been buying my epoxy from the eBay vendor
                                >>> "polymerproducts", and have been very satisfied all around.
                                >>>
                                >>> http://cgi.ebay.com/310219219293
                                >>>
                                >>> Currently they are selling epoxy for $50 a gallon delivered, (+sales tax in CA)

                              • Stephen Dampier
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 5, 2011
                                  I built my Tolman Skiff using fiberglass and System 3 epoxy from www.fiberglasssupply.com. They are good people.

                                  Shipping is a big consideration in buying both glass and epoxy.

                                  SteveOh
                                • futabachan
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 18, 2011
                                    David:

                                    > No. Not the I60. I'm afraid after my C38 adventures I've caught
                                    > the bluewater bug.

                                    What are you building?

                                    --
                                    Susan Davis <futabachan@...>