Re: [bolger] Wood and Epoxy/Glass Suppliers?

  • John Huft
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 3, 2011
      I used to do merchandising and jobbing before I got tired of working long hours and got a teaching job.  Yes its true I have summers off to sail but I more than make up for it the rest of the year.  Anyway, I'd get together a good take off from the plans and then get quotes from all the suppliers.

      Do you have a time table for when you need the materials?  You have a couple of choices, order all at once but that ties up your capital or get the vendors locked in on pricing and have them ship as you need it.

       I'd definitely get quotes from West and the other suppliers but don't forget the little guys like Duckworks or Bateau.com.  Think about buying your resin in bulk, repackaging adds a lot to the price.  When I was a kid (19) I worked in a marina, we used to buy our resin in 55 gallon drums.  Also with that many sheets your local lumberyard might be interested in bidding, even if they don't normally carry marine ply or resins.  Don't forget the big box stores.

      Don't forget to get them to quote the consumables.  You'll spend a butt load of cash on brushes and such and you'll get a price break if your vendors include it in their quotes.

      Lemme speak a little heresy here too.  According to everything I've read, resin is resin, the key is the hardner.  Something to think about, buy the cheapest resin and splurge on the hardner.
      My two cents,
      John Boy

      ."It's the tides, man.  They can either work for you or they can work against you...
      Confidentially, I've had this problem with the tides before."
      --Captain Ron

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 3, 2011
        Progressive is a little bit north of you, I have not used his product, I
        have stayed with Raka as their prices are very competitive with shipping
        thrown in to AK. Worth a look just to experience the worst web business
        site out there.

        http://www.epoxyproducts.com/

        Depending on your time frame you might look for a small mill in an area
        that has lumber you can use and by green rough cut. That is what I do,
        sits in the shed until I need it, by the time I get to it it has
        seasoned for a few years. I love working clear VG spruce for $2.50 a
        board foot.

        Is this the project you were going to do with Bob Wise a few years back?

        HJ

        On 2/3/2011 1:59 PM, Amelia wrote:
        > Hello Bolgeristas! Long time no see!
        >
        > I am in the planning stages of a fairly large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles of lumber) Any hot tips on venders?
        >
        > Hope you are all doing well!
        >
        > YIBB,
        > David

      • Harry James
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 3, 2011
          C38--Columbia 38, Cal 38, Catalina 38?

          HJ

          On 2/3/2011 3:21 PM, Amelia wrote:
          > No. Not the I60. I'm afraid after my C38 adventures I've caught the bluewater bug.
          >
          > Used one of our Gulls all last Summer as a tender. Between the flair of the Gull, the tumblehome of the C38 and the 100 pound Newfie loading and unloading was a bit of a trick, but even with the whole family, the dog and groceries that boat sure pulls nice!
          >

          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rick Bedard<sctree@...> wrote:
          >> David,
          >>
          >> You can't drop "large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles
          >> of lumber" on us and expect advice wi telling us more details... I-60 perhaps?
          >>
          >> Rick
          >>

          >> ________________________________

        • John Huft

            No. Not the I60. I'm afraid after my C38 adventures I've caught the bluewater bug.

            Used one of our Gulls all last Summer as a tender. Between the flair of the Gull, the tumblehome of the C38 and the 100 pound Newfie loading and unloading was a bit of a trick, but even with the whole family, the dog and groceries that boat sure pulls nice!

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rick Bedard <sctree@...> wrote:

            > David,
            >
            > You can't drop "large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles
            > of lumber" on us and expect advice wi telling us more details... I-60 perhaps?
            >
            > Rick
            >

            > ________________________________

          • John Balch
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 3, 2011
              Raka-  good choice.
              Also- fiberglass site.com
               Not sure of spelling.

              John "Chris" Balch

              Travelin' Light
              Tanzer 22 #668

              Torneremo #96
              Chrysler Mutineer

              ALF II (A Little Fun)
              Super Snark

              No. Not the I60. I'm afraid after my C38 adventures I've caught the bluewater bug.

              Used one of our Gulls all last Summer as a tender. Between the flair of the Gull, the tumblehome of the C38 and the 100 pound Newfie loading and unloading was a bit of a trick, but even with the whole family, the dog and groceries that boat sure pulls nice!

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Rick Bedard <sctree@...> wrote:

              > David,
              >
              > You can't drop "large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles
              > of lumber" on us and expect advice wi telling us more details... I-60 perhaps?
              >
              > Rick
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Mark Albanese

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 3, 2011
                  A good epoxy and fresh. http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/

                  Fillers and suplies. http://www.mertons.com/

                  Jon

                  > I've seen the suggestion written several places to get some kind of
                  > builders status, whether with a number or less formally.
                  >
                  > If that really helps anywhere, I suppose it would on something big as
                  > that.
                  >

                  > On Feb 3, 2011, at 2:59 PM, Amelia wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hello Bolgeristas! Long time no see!
                  > >
                  > > I am in the planning stages of a fairly large build (200+ sheets of
                  > > plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles of lumber) Any hot tips on
                  > > venders?
                  > >
                  > > Hope you are all doing well!
                  > >
                  > > YIBB,
                  > > David

                • daschultz2000
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                    I immediately though "Illinois", 'cause that's a complete plan. I don't think PB&F has completed the I-60 yet.
                  • adventures_in_astrophotography
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                      David,

                      > I am in the planning stages of a fairly large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles of lumber) Any hot tips on venders?

                      I had a good experience ordering plywood from Homestead in Ohio.
                      http://www.homesteadhardwoods.com/

                      The price was the best I found for BS1088 or Marine Fir. That was over a year ago, so things may have changed, but I was very happy with the product, price, and shipping arrangements. The sheets were well crated, and the shipping company forked it right into my pickup at their terminal. Of course, even my truck can't carry 200 sheets at once (unless it's 4mm) - what are you building?

                      Jon
                    • Harry James
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                        I think I read that Illinois takes 400 sheets.

                        HJ

                        On 2/4/2011 5:29 AM, daschultz2000 wrote:
                        > I immediately though "Illinois", 'cause that's a complete plan. I don't think PB&F has completed the I-60 yet.

                      • sirdarnell
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                          Jim Michalak in his book lists (for good prices on epoxy, glass, fillers and supplies):

                          www.Raka.com

                          www.uscomposites.com

                          and

                          www.fgci.com

                          Get quotes from each and avoid 1 to 1 mixes and 5 minute type epoxies as they are less waterproof according to the engineers.
                          David

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Amelia" <david@...> wrote:

                          > Hello Bolgeristas! Long time no see!
                          >
                          > I am in the planning stages of a fairly large build (200+ sheets of plywood, 270 gallons of resin, miles of lumber) Any hot tips on venders?
                          >
                          > Hope you are all doing well!
                          >
                          > YIBB,
                          > David

                        • BruceHallman
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                            For several years now I have been buying my epoxy from the eBay vendor
                            "polymerproducts", and have been very satisfied all around.

                            http://cgi.ebay.com/310219219293

                            Currently they are selling epoxy for $50 a gallon delivered, (+sales tax in CA)
                          • dennislancaster36
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                              I get mine from FCI in Florida: http://www.fgci.com/

                              Dennis

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                                I get my wood from: http://www.edensaw.com/products_list.asp?gr=26&cat=3

                                Dennis

                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 4, 2011
                                  Wrong coast for Dave, I am a very satisfied customer of Edensaw also,
                                  been dealing with them for over 25 years.

                                  HJ

                                  On 2/4/2011 10:18 AM, dennislancaster36 wrote:
                                  > I get my wood from: http://www.edensaw.com/products_list.asp?gr=26&cat=3
                                  >
                                  > Dennis
                                  >
                                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dennislancaster36"<dennislancaster36@...> wrote:
                                  >> I get mine from FCI in Florida: http://www.fgci.com/
                                  >>
                                  >> Dennis
                                  >>
                                  >> --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, BruceHallman<hallman@> wrote:
                                  >>> For several years now I have been buying my epoxy from the eBay vendor
                                  >>> "polymerproducts", and have been very satisfied all around.
                                  >>>
                                  >>> http://cgi.ebay.com/310219219293
                                  >>>
                                  >>> Currently they are selling epoxy for $50 a gallon delivered, (+sales tax in CA)

                                • Stephen Dampier
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 5, 2011
                                    I built my Tolman Skiff using fiberglass and System 3 epoxy from www.fiberglasssupply.com. They are good people.

                                    Shipping is a big consideration in buying both glass and epoxy.

                                    SteveOh
                                  • futabachan
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 18, 2011
                                      David:

                                      > No. Not the I60. I'm afraid after my C38 adventures I've caught
                                      > the bluewater bug.

                                      What are you building?

                                      --
                                      Susan Davis <futabachan@...>