Re: Mohegan frindship sloop and ballast

  • etap28
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
      Retail lead is high. Most of the boatbuilders I've ever known scrounge for lead rather than pay retail. The best place to get lead by far is off an old hulk rotting in a field. Otherwise, metal salvage yards always have a lot, and it's quite a bit less than retail. And, if you're shipping the lead, than it stand to reason a big chunk of that cost is the shipping. . . Look locally

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "david_shurr" <david_shurr@...> wrote:

      > I just checked the price of lead. A little over $2/lbs w/free shipping. Makes a boat's cost go up. I'll just add a hiking board and have my friends sit on it out over the water.
      >
      > Here is just one of the many websites out there.
      >
      > http://www.rotometals.com/Lead-Ingots-s/32.htm
      >
      > David

    • meier.denis
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
        I placed a "lead wanted" ad on kijiji and had a reply from a retired printer who sold me 450 pounds for 40cents/pound. There is lots of old lead type out there. Worth a try.
        Denis Meier
        MicroWave (will launch this year for sure)

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "david_shurr" <david_shurr@...> wrote:

        > I just checked the price of lead. A little over $2/lbs w/free shipping. Makes a boat's cost go up. I'll just add a hiking board and have my friends sit on it out over the water.
        >
        > Here is just one of the many websites out there.
        >
        > http://www.rotometals.com/Lead-Ingots-s/32.htm
        >
        > David

      • Michael Kline
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
          Suggest you build closed boxes to fit in the sections and then fill them with used wheel weights.  Adjust the weight in each box by adding clean (washed) gravel as needed.  The weights can be acquired from local garages and tire stores and as long as you pay a slight premium over their usual return value, they should be motivated to deal.  This is cheapest place to tap this material stream than anywhere else in the material recovery chain.  The wooden exterior of the boxes should pose no problem for fastening down and could be built with external spacers to promote water and air flow around the boxes.

          Mike