Re: [bolger] Temp boat building ideas? Whalewatcher

  • Harry James
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 26, 2011
      How far north, max wind in the winter?

      HJ

      On 1/26/2011 12:52 PM, Wilderness Voice wrote:
      I just bought a home on acreage, so can build my Whalewatcher now. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas to make an inexpensive outdoor boat building shed since I have no garage?

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 27, 2011
        This would be the link to the boatshed:
        http://members.shaw.ca/pgron/BoatShed.htm

        -e.
        - - -

        On 11-01-26 2:02 PM, dennislancaster36 wrote:

        Check this website out: http://members.shaw.ca/ArcticTern2/

        Regards,
        Dennis
        Bellingham Wa (OldShoe-Pearl)

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Wilderness Voice <thewildernessvoice@...> wrote:

        > I just bought a home on acreage, so can build my Whalewatcher now. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas to make an inexpensive outdoor boat building shed since I have no garage?

      • Ralph
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 27, 2011
          There are some plans here:
          http://www.by-the-sea.com/stimsonmarine/bowroof.html

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Wilderness Voice <thewildernessvoice@...> wrote:

          > I just bought a home on acreage, so can build my Whalewatcher now. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas to make an inexpensive outdoor boat building shed since I have no garage?

        • daschultz2000
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 27, 2011
            Ruel Parker has design and construction ideas and photos in his book about new cold molding. There are several sources for garage sized tents which can be strung out as long as you would need.

            Don

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Wilderness Voice <thewildernessvoice@...> wrote:

            > I just bought a home on acreage, so can build my Whalewatcher now. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas to make an inexpensive outdoor boat building shed since I have no garage?

          • Jim Elliott
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 27, 2011
              In the book sloop they discuss a shed made of strapping and cheap plastic

              From: "daschultz2000" <daschultz8275@...>
              Sender: bolger@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:03:49 -0000
              To: <bolger@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: bolger@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [bolger] Re: Temp boat building ideas? Whalewatcher

            • masonsmith@frontiernet.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 27, 2011

                I did the completion of the first known launched Whalewatcher under a 10 x 27 foot canopy building  from King Canopy, on sale then for about $225. I had to extend one end with extra tarp and framework, but this canopy had ends and sides and zippered entry and windows. Managed to deal with the snow, heavy at times, by pulling it off with a snow-rake after or during storms. Have the canopy up again this winter over another project boat, doing the same. I have had mishaps where snow or winds have damaged these kinds of buildings when I was away, but I just buy some new parts and repair them. Hard to beat for cost and movability, and they don’t raise your taxes. ---Mason

              • sirdarnell
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 27, 2011
                  Check here. Should find something.

                  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=shelter&Nty=1&D=shelter&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

                  David

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dennislancaster36" <dennislancaster36@...> wrote:

                  > Check this website out: http://members.shaw.ca/ArcticTern2/
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Dennis
                  > Bellingham Wa (OldShoe-Pearl)
                  >
                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Wilderness Voice <thewildernessvoice@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I just bought a home on acreage, so can build my Whalewatcher now. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas to make an inexpensive outdoor boat building shed since I have no garage?

                • David
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 31, 2011
                    The Stimson Bowsheds have served boatbuilders adequately for years. Proven design. Just sturdy enough. One of the least expensive workable options.

                    Cheers,
                    David G
                    Harbor Woodworks