Re: Temp boat building ideas? Whalewatcher

  • dennislancaster36
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 26, 2011
      Check this website out: http://members.shaw.ca/ArcticTern2/

      Regards,
      Dennis
      Bellingham Wa (OldShoe-Pearl)

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Wilderness Voice <thewildernessvoice@...> wrote:

      > I just bought a home on acreage, so can build my Whalewatcher now. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas to make an inexpensive outdoor boat building shed since I have no garage?

    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 26, 2011
        How far north, max wind in the winter?

        HJ

        On 1/26/2011 12:52 PM, Wilderness Voice wrote:
        I just bought a home on acreage, so can build my Whalewatcher now. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas to make an inexpensive outdoor boat building shed since I have no garage?

        plans for Design #636 CHAMPLAIN on 8 sheets (22x34") plus Key are listed at US$300.- to build one boat, sent rolled in a tube.

        Thanks for the interest.
        Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

        Does anyone know the current plan price?

      • E Light
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 27, 2011
          This would be the link to the boatshed:
          http://members.shaw.ca/pgron/BoatShed.htm

          -e.
          - - -

          On 11-01-26 2:02 PM, dennislancaster36 wrote:

          Check this website out: http://members.shaw.ca/ArcticTern2/

          Regards,
          Dennis
          Bellingham Wa (OldShoe-Pearl)

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Wilderness Voice <thewildernessvoice@...> wrote:

          > I just bought a home on acreage, so can build my Whalewatcher now. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas to make an inexpensive outdoor boat building shed since I have no garage?

        • Ralph
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 27, 2011
            There are some plans here:
            http://www.by-the-sea.com/stimsonmarine/bowroof.html

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Wilderness Voice <thewildernessvoice@...> wrote:

            > I just bought a home on acreage, so can build my Whalewatcher now. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas to make an inexpensive outdoor boat building shed since I have no garage?

          • daschultz2000
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 27, 2011
              Ruel Parker has design and construction ideas and photos in his book about new cold molding. There are several sources for garage sized tents which can be strung out as long as you would need.

              Don

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Wilderness Voice <thewildernessvoice@...> wrote:

              > I just bought a home on acreage, so can build my Whalewatcher now. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas to make an inexpensive outdoor boat building shed since I have no garage?

            • Jim Elliott
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 27, 2011
                In the book sloop they discuss a shed made of strapping and cheap plastic

                From: "daschultz2000" <daschultz8275@...>
                Sender: bolger@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:03:49 -0000
                To: <bolger@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: bolger@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: [bolger] Re: Temp boat building ideas? Whalewatcher

              • masonsmith@frontiernet.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 27, 2011

                  I did the completion of the first known launched Whalewatcher under a 10 x 27 foot canopy building  from King Canopy, on sale then for about $225. I had to extend one end with extra tarp and framework, but this canopy had ends and sides and zippered entry and windows. Managed to deal with the snow, heavy at times, by pulling it off with a snow-rake after or during storms. Have the canopy up again this winter over another project boat, doing the same. I have had mishaps where snow or winds have damaged these kinds of buildings when I was away, but I just buy some new parts and repair them. Hard to beat for cost and movability, and they don’t raise your taxes. ---Mason

                • sirdarnell
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 27, 2011
                    Check here. Should find something.

                    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=shelter&Nty=1&D=shelter&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

                    David

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dennislancaster36" <dennislancaster36@...> wrote:

                    > Check this website out: http://members.shaw.ca/ArcticTern2/
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Dennis
                    > Bellingham Wa (OldShoe-Pearl)
                    >
                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Wilderness Voice <thewildernessvoice@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I just bought a home on acreage, so can build my Whalewatcher now. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas to make an inexpensive outdoor boat building shed since I have no garage?

                  • David
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 31, 2011
                      The Stimson Bowsheds have served boatbuilders adequately for years. Proven design. Just sturdy enough. One of the least expensive workable options.

                      Cheers,
                      David G
                      Harbor Woodworks