Re: AS 29

  • freshairfiend
    Message 1 of 71 , Jan 7, 2011
      @ George: Definitely get a remote throttle/reverse so you can operate the engine while handling the tiller. When asked, Phil Bolger told Frank San Miguel that he didn't think remote steering was worth adding; I might try it anyway as the AS 29 is quite the pig when docking in a crosswind. Power tilt would be nice but isn't necessary, as access to the motor well is easy and direct.

      I agree with Michael that the 9.9 with HT prop is the correct size and type for the AS 29. With the Yamaha 9.9 XLS/HT and a clean bottom, my AS 29 'Zoella' gets about 6.3 knots max, and mileage for many years now has been consistently ~12 statute MPG at six knots. Consider the 8 HP Yamaha XLS/HT or 6/8 HP Tohatsu XLS/HT engines to save a few bucks if necessary.

      Suggest you pass over the 35 HP 2-stroke, despite the price. You might get away with it on a temporary basis, but it will be poorly geared and propped for a non-planing boat, will have poor submersion with very little thrust in reverse, and you will burn fuel at an astounding rate.

      @ Susanne: I think 'Zoella' is either the third or fourth AS 29 launched (1993). 'Woodwind' is #1. All the early AS 29's tended to trim bow-down when loaded for cruising, and if I remember correctly Phil suggested to later builders that they move the ballast aft a little. I think the culprit is that the foam flotation under the main bunk forces one to stow heavy items farther forwards. Loaded for cruising, Zoella trims level with the Yamaha 9.9, two anchors & chain aft, about 100 pounds of tools stowed aft of the bunk, ~300 books on the bookshelves aft, me in the cockpit, and about 18 gallons of gasoline in the (aft) tanks. It's unlikely there will be any problem with too much weight on the stern of an early AS 29, unless it has been modified as Phil suggested by moving the ballast farther aft.

      RE: Torqeedo: I think as a practical matter these are too low-powered for a boat the size (and wind resistance) of an AS 29, and will not drive into a chop or headwind with any authority. One of the great things about the AS 29 is the ultra-shoal draft, which lets you get into all sorts of places you never thought possible, and into secure anchorages nobody else can use. Generally you need an engine to do this, as your bilgeboards will be raised. Too small an engine closes these off to you in all but calm weather.

      John Dalziel

    • gbroadlick@yahoo.com
      Message 71 of 71 , Sep 1, 2012
        thank you