Re: AS 29

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 71 , Jan 6, 2011
      > I also have no feel for how many hp i need.

      This is a bit of a tricky area because some sailors are happy with enough hp to glide across a quiet anchorage and others want to do hull speed upwind into a gale. Different installations and propeller vary in efficiency. So, take what I'm about to say with grain of salt.

      A rule of thumb is 4hp per ton. I found that a 5hp ob was fine for a sloop weighing about one long ton. My present boat is a bit less than 4 short tons, and is fine with a two cyl Yanmar that is about 16-18 hp. (There are different ratings for peak, long term, etc.) So my experience agrees. I know Hunter put the same Yanmar in a boat weighing over 5 tons, and I think it must be a bit underpowered.

      So your 32hp ob should be fine. I can't advise on whether the installation needs reinforcement.
    • gbroadlick@yahoo.com
      Message 71 of 71 , Sep 1, 2012
        thank you

        Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone