Pointer isometric

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
      Probably the most significant sharpie in PCB's life was his 33ft
      Pointer, which he personal owned and sailed a lot. Design 115

      http://www.hallman.org/bolger/pointer/

      It makes one guess: Did he choose the name "Pointer" with the meaning
      "sharp point"?
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
        You look at a catboat like this with the huge boom and you think death
        roll off the wind but I guess Sharpies don't really roll that way, it
        seems like as soon as the chine lifted you would have a counteracting
        force.

        HJ

        On 1/4/2011 1:09 PM, Bruce Hallman wrote:
        > Probably the most significant sharpie in PCB's life was his 33ft
        > Pointer, which he personal owned and sailed a lot. Design 115
        >
        > http://www.hallman.org/bolger/pointer/
        >
        > It makes one guess: Did he choose the name "Pointer" with the meaning
        > "sharp point"?

      • gary
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
          Thanks, Bruce. I've gotten eye strain trying to glean details about Pointer from the one or two pictures in the various Bolger books. Wasn't there a reference somewhere to one of his sharpies having a 4" thick bottom? Was that Pointer?

          Gary

          > Probably the most significant sharpie in PCB's life was his 33ft
          > Pointer, which he personal owned and sailed a lot. Design 115
          >
          > http://www.hallman.org/bolger/pointer/
          >
          > It makes one guess: Did he choose the name "Pointer" with the meaning
          > "sharp point"?

        • c.ruzer
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 19, 2011
            IIRC PCB kept Pointer for 11 years. Refit and rerigged (huh?) another 11 years later. Scant detail in -

            WB#86 asking $12000;

            WB#88 May/June 1989, CLASSIFIED, BOATS FOR SALE, p155:
            33' BOLGER LEEBOARD SHARPIE "Pointer." Bolger's own boat for seven years. Built by Story, Essex. MA, in 1959. Rerigged as cat-ketch with wish-booms and mizzen staysail. Good sails, ground tackle, etc. Excellent condition. $12,000 or make offer! 401-253-8802, days; 508-677-1893, nights/weekends. (NB - no accompanying photo published);

            WB#94 May/June 1990, CLASSIFIED, BOATS FOR SALE, p156:
            33' BOLGER LEEBOARD SHARPIE "Pointer." Bolger's own boat for seven years. Built by Story Yard, Essex. MA, in 1959. Professional refit 1981. Hood main. mizzen, 4 seasons old; new Thurston spinnaker, staysail. Great boat, shoal draft 11" board up. Boat fully found; ready to go. Must sell. $5500. Henry Elliot, 401-253-8802, days; 508-677-1893, nights/weekends. (NB - again no accompanying photo published).