Re: [bolger] Presto-style isometric (was Re: Bolger on sharpies)

  • Christopher C. Wetherill
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2011
      Absolutely.  I was trying to make the point that there seems to be more to the mix in order to be called "sharpie" in the classical terminology.  I have not seen a definition in a while, but single chine, flat bottom (traditionally planks straight from chine to chine), and rocker figure prominently.  A Chesapeake Bay crabber (40' L x 8-10' W V-8 power) would not qualify because it has a keel and deadrise.

      Somewhere in one of his books, I am thinking it's in one of the chapters of "The Folding Schooner" he discusses both what a sharpie is and the concept that it woks best when heeled, thus side and bottom cleave the water with their chine.

      I hope I'm not flogging a dead horse here, I am merely trying to support and amplify the differentiation between sharpie as a type and "sharp chined".

      V/R
      Chris

      On 1/4/2011 3:49 PM, Bruce Hallman wrote:
      "sharp bowed" applied directly to the designation "sharpie".

      length:beam ratio of 6:1

      Agreed.

      Long narrow boats, by their very nature, have sharp bows.

      That is, unless you chop the bow off, as with a bow transom. <grin>

    • Joe T
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2011
        What distinguishes the Presto type from other sharpies before its time is the well rounded chine. This should reduce or eliminate the problem of chine eddying, as well as the generous length to beam ratio. Learned from guru PB, as well as my own experience with hard chine kayaks mostly.
        Might be accomplished with thick wood strip at the chines in a ply boat. Haven't seen it done though.

        Joe T

        > It is worth mentioning that when PCB speaks of "sharpies" he is not
        > thinking "sharp chine" like with his box boats. Micro and Old Shoe
        > have sharp chines, but they are not sharpied. He is thinking of
        > "sharpie" meaning a high length to beam ratio. The classic "sharpie"
        > in PCB's mind was probably the Commodore Munroe designed boat Presto,
        > and PCB did a re-design of Presto for one of the Small Boat Journal
        > articles. Here is an isometric:
        >
        > Presto-style cruiser
        > http://www.hallman.org/bolger/Presto-style/
        >
        > 27 feet long x 7 foot width. Inside ballast made of steel bars in
        > concrete. Cat yawl. Carvel planked, or cold molded.

      • c.ruzer
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 5, 2011
          > Might be accomplished with thick wood strip at the chines in a ply boat. Haven't seen it done though.

          Google about Gary Lepak's 'Bufflehead'. Articles at duckwork, for example. No doubt that boat discussed here as elsewhere. A start:

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Joe T" <scsbmsjoe@...> wrote:

          > What distinguishes the Presto type from other sharpies before its time is the well rounded chine. This should reduce or eliminate the problem of chine eddying, as well as the generous length to beam ratio. Learned from guru PB, as well as my own experience with hard chine kayaks mostly.
          > Might be accomplished with thick wood strip at the chines in a ply boat. Haven't seen it done though.
          >
          > Joe T
        • Myles J. Swift
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 5, 2011

            Presto is one of those boats that gets me wanting to retire sooner rather than later. A 25 to 30 foot sharpie is at the top of my dream list.

            MylesJ

          • c.ruzer
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 19, 2011
              Another one from WB#77 July/August 1987, BOATBROKERS, p134:

              "35' Bolger Gentleman's Presto Type - flush decked, gaff cat, $125k." (ad for Nantucket brokers)