(Lost) New Years Greetings

  • Susanne@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 1, 2011
      This message seems to gotten lost in YAHOO world somehow.
      So I re-post it some 11 hours later:

      "Good Morning on this first day of 2011.  I wish you all a good year.

      I would like to thank you for your continuing interest in Phil's and our work.
      I hope that the re-establishment of the monthly Design-column in MAIB keeps feeding your curiosity and engagement in our thinking on boats, how to use them, and where to build them.  Note this month's feature on the preliminary design of "AS-34". Next month will be an update from the world of fisheries-policy and the working waterfront of Gloucester, essentially a summary of 2 projects of 2010 that I faced myself devoting serious time to, even though I already had an urgent agenda to tend to both in private matters and business, primarily of course securing and enhancing the legacy of Phil Bolger.  One motivating factor in the constructive engagement of these two issues was the further broadening of relative relevance of Phil Bolger's thinking both on local level and in the discourse amongst high-level experts.

      As Bruce Hallman alerted you to already, Phil Bolger & Friends was invited late February
      '10 to give a presentation at the first international conference on "Energy Use in Fisheries" in Seattle, Nov. 14-17,'10, sponsored by NOAA (National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration) - a branch of the US government, the WORLD BANK and the UN-FAO (U.N. Fisheries and Agriculture Organization). Experts from 18 nations offered perspectives, with me amongst them (quite unexpectedly).  MAIB will feature my report on it.  It was and remains gratifying indeed to put Phil's and my work into that forum of discussion.  That high-level recognition of the fundamental legitimacy of our perspective should contribute to the likelihood of at last getting craft built and tested across 4-seasons.

      The other project is directly related to the viability of this Port and its working and pleasure-fleets as we see $4/gal looming on the horizon.  When we first raised the issue of accelerating fuel-cost in 2002-03 crude oil was around the low-20s per barrel.  Now it has gone past $90 while many of us are still mired in the Great Recession.  JP MORGAN speculates about $120 by 2011-12.  We've got to be prepared for significantly higher liquid energy-cost in whatever area of life and work we can do something about.

      For March MAIB there will be another design feature.

      I want to thank the 'keepers' of this Forum and its many steady and casual contributors.  In no particular order and addressing you all, I want to thank for instance Bruce Hallman for his efforts to put the 2-D line-art work into more appealing yet visuals, Long for the calender (he sent me one) with beautiful photos not in this archive, Massimo for the stirring video and reports on his IDAHO-project (I linked the YouTube footage to others), and the various authors of key-threads on small and large technical and functional issues along with the many progress-reports and photos on on-going and completed boat-building projects.

      During the dark year+ after Phil's death, I did and do draw sustenance from quietly reading your discussions.  And I know I should have added to them more than I did.  But I am still metering my energies for various daily demands restructuring this existence without my love, mentor, co-conspirator, companion.  I constantly miss his presence and find myself often in need of 'the other hand' which is no more.  So I draw energy and satisfaction from this Forum, major events (for me) such as Seattle and the knowledge that we did together and now I do try to address issues that seemed to us in need of tending, despite at times fiscal and emotional expenditures not agreed to by our CPA or always supportable by our emotional balance.

      There is one more most serious project here in town that depends on this office for success but should also (at last) result in reasonably serious fiscal returns.  I'll will report when it is on solid ground.

      May this New Year present us all with opportunities and successes, health and balance in our lives, and perhaps a chance to add to the serious and joyful progress in our families and communities.

      Susanne Altenburger
      Phil Bolger&Friends, Inc."

    • etap28
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 1, 2011
        Well said, Suzanne, thanks for the update, and best New Year's Wishes to you and Phil's continued legacy.
        And I trust this confirms that Yahoo is still in s.o.p. mode,
        Dave

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susanne@..." <philbolger@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > There is one more most serious project here in town that depends on this office for success but should also (at last) result in reasonably serious fiscal returns. I'll will report when it is on solid ground.
        >
        > May this New Year present us all with opportunities and successes, health and balance in our lives, and perhaps a chance to add to the serious and joyful progress in our families and communities.

      • gary
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 1, 2011
          Happy New Year, Susanne. Great to hear from you as always.

          I really enjoyed the writeup of the AS34 in MAIB, and am looking forward to the promised followup of the AS39.

          Planned future projects include an expedition version of a June Bug and building another lengthened version of the "Cartoon 40" catboat, but with a Birdwatcher-type cabin. And if you've ever got the time, I'd like to pick your brain about the suggestion you once made about adding a Birdwatcher cabin to a Zephyr. That could be a fascinating minimal expedition/beachcruising craft.

          The reports from February symposium should be fascinating -- we seem to be heading to an inevitable and permanent state of high gas prices and it will be interesting to see if we've learned anything . . .

          Gary Blankenship

> [...]
          >
          > There is one more most serious project here in town that depends on this office for success but should also (at last) result in reasonably serious fiscal returns. I'll will report when it is on solid ground.
          >
          > May this New Year present us all with opportunities and successes, health and balance in our lives, and perhaps a chance to add to the serious and joyful progress in our families and communities.

        • sirdarnell
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 2, 2011
            Simple answer: The answer differs with displacement and planing boats. A displacement boat moves through the water causing the water to flow around the hull. Planing boats rise up more or less on top of the water and so the water passes mostly underneath when planing.

            David

          • Susanne@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 2, 2011
              I'd just follow the BIRDWATCHER-approach, or add a shorter version stopping at fore and aft decks.  Sitting headroom on a cushion will define your house-height.  This will add weight to a very light hull.  So I'd make it like a pick-up truck cab, bolted on to the hull-structure for easy changing of the mind - or just day-sailing versus cruising.  Two port and starboard half-pieces should be easy.  Based on 12-foot or just 8-foot length.  Beyond paper-trials, without glass-investment, just sailing with that frame might reveal ergonomics not anticipated for modest up-front cost.  Looking at the pointed-ends sharpie hulls between >20' ZEPHYR and 31' NAVEL JELLY there might be a sweet combination for a 'Challenge'-capable cruiser for little money, light weight but long waterline and ample tandem sleeping space for a 2-some crew.

            • Susanne@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 2, 2011
> [...]

                > There is one more most serious project here in town that depends on this office for success but should also (at last) result in reasonably serious fiscal returns. I'll will report when it is on solid ground.
                >
                > May this New Year present us all with opportunities and successes, health and balance in our lives, and perhaps a chance to add to the serious and joyful progress in our families and communities.

              • gary
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 2, 2011
                  I like the idea of a removable cabin. My initial thoughts were to thicken the bottom from 3/8 to 1/2 or even 3/4 inch which would do away with the bottom stringers (except for a skeg). I thought those stringers hurt rowing, and the thicker bottom would put weight where it's needed. The hull sides would be reduced from 3/8 to 1/4 but the gunnel strips would be doubled (or maybe tripled) instead of a single layer. That in turn might allow a temporary instead of permanent center frame, would free up the interior. The deck would extend back to the mast and the raised birdwatcher cabin would be only aft of the mast to save weight. The leeboard would have to be pivoting instead of fixed because of Florida's abundant shallow water and it would be impossible to get at a fixed one from inside the cabin. An internal off-centerboard a la birdwatcher might be an alternative, but the Zephyr interior might be too narrow to make that practical. If the raised cabin could be broken down and carried aboard for short intervals, then the boat could probably be rowed at least short disances in strong winds, such as bucking the breeze in some of Florida Bay's narrow channels. Hopefully it could keep the original double reefable lateen rig with the same mast, but that rig might be too low for the cabin. A very intriguing concept.

                  Gary

                  > I'd just follow the BIRDWATCHER-approach, or add a shorter version stopping at fore and aft decks. Sitting headroom on a cushion will define your house-height. This will add weight to a very light hull. So I'd make it like a pick-up truck cab, bolted on to the hull-structure for easy changing of the mind - or just day-sailing versus cruising. Two port and starboard half-pieces should be easy. Based on 12-foot or just 8-foot length. Beyond paper-trials, without glass-investment, just sailing with that frame might reveal ergonomics not anticipated for modest up-front cost. Looking at the pointed-ends sharpie hulls between >20' ZEPHYR and 31' NAVEL JELLY there might be a sweet combination for a 'Challenge'-capable cruiser for little money, light weight but long waterline and ample tandem sleeping space for a 2-some crew.

                • Walter
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
> [...]
                    >
                    > There is one more most serious project here in town that depends on this office for success but should also (at last) result in reasonably serious fiscal returns. I'll will report when it is on solid ground.
                    >
                    > May this New Year present us all with opportunities and successes, health and balance in our lives, and perhaps a chance to add to the serious and joyful progress in our families and communities.

                    Happy New Year to you, Susanne. Best of luck in the coming year. Your recent article in MAIB, on the Matsue Traveler Study, was a great insight into how a design is developed. Also thought the resulting design would be a great cruiser on any ocean.
                    Best wishes, Walter Baron
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
                      On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 7:30 PM, Susanne@...
                      <philbolger@...> wrote:

                      > There is one more most serious project here in town that depends on this office for success but should also (at last) result in reasonably serious fiscal returns.  I'll will report when it is on solid ground.

                      Best wishes right back at you Susanne!

                      Looking in my mailbox daily for the MAIB AS-34 report.

                      Hmmm, intriguing hint at a "most serious project". Guessing now, is
                      it a sustainable fisheries boat yard located on Gloucester Harbor?
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 3, 2011
                        > water flows under the hull, not around the hull.

                        It's relative of course. Being massive, the water stays more or less still.

                        It moves briefly out of the way, and then returns to position, as the
                        hull passes through the water.
                      • c.ruzer
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 4, 2011
                          On the other hand if upright and deep bellied, then Bernouli will see the water flow under to the region of higher speed, lower pressure. Therefore note how, for even the light displacement flat-bottomed, sharp-bowed, chined boats eg from CWS through Cj and JB to Jinni, double-ended, flared or plumb sided, in the bodyplan the chine line bisects the angle between bottom and topsides from somewhere around midships, and sometimes thence all the way aft. This is the section of most/all of the swelling displacement in proper trim (as someone earlier noted PCB typically placed COB approx 60% aft...) and so has relatively higher water flow speeds. In proper trim the low bows of these boats are just above the load waterline but gain much clearance with heeling. Nevertheless the boats float/sail mostly on those immersed equally curved sections much further aft. Bernouli still sucks there, but more equally, so helping to minimise cross chine flow. The features are apparent in numerous boats drawn by PCB's mentor, Chapelle. If trimmed bow down, cross chine flow near their flat, sharp bow creates high drag eddies underneath which not only slow, but have the moment to turn the boat and induce added high drag from the compensating rudder. The cross chine flow induced drag at such a bow is much worse in waves as the verticle movement increases the relatve water flow speed amplifying the issue. PCB likened such a bow, any immersed narrow bow, to sailing a wineglass sterned boat flat-out backwards.