RE: [bolger] Re: towable storage & Martha Jane

  • John and Kathy Trussell
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 20, 2010

      Canoe covers a multitude of sins. Arguably, any double ended boat can be (and sometimes is) called” canoe” and this includes such paragons of seaworthiness as pea pods and faerings!

      In general, what the Brits call an “Indian canoe” is not particularly sea worthy because it is dominated by crew weight; the crew weight is comparatively high above the waterline: and the crew weight is dynamic. If the crew leans out too far, the canoe capsizes. Most canoes are open and if they take on water, this adds to the instability.

      Most of the shortcomings can be overcome by lowering the weight in the canoe and adding decking, in which case you get something like a Rob Roe canoe or kayak. IMHO, neither canoes nor kayaks are satisfactory tenders because when they are empty, they are unstable.  Boarding and empty canoe or kayak from a bigger boat is a quick way to go swimming. Something like a small pea pod (Hylan’s ‘Beach Pea’ or Bolgers Sweet Pea) might be a better choice.  And of course any towed tender adds drag and reduces speed.