Re: Out and sailing quickly? FMS)

  • gary
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 17, 2010
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "captreed@..." <captreed@...> wrote:

      > <For example, Bolger show more of the foot of the dipping lug extending <in front of the mast that with the balanced lug, and I found when <switching from a dippling to a balance lug that does make a difference.
      >
      > How does this make a difference Gary?
      >
      > Lots of books and groups on Chinese junks and few about Lugs. Its a puzzlement when a balanced lug will go windward so much better.
      >
      > Reed

      When I converted from the dipping to the balanced lugger, a boom was added to the sail and everthing else remained the same, including the length of the foot in front of the mast. The boat reached and ran well, but hard on the wind it was stodgy. Couldn't figure it out until I checked Bolger's book and noticed that the balanced lug didn't extend as far in front of the mast along the foot as the dipping lug did. The downhaul was moved forward on the boom (reducing the length of the foot forward of the mast) and -- voila! -- windward performace was drmatically improved. Chuck over at Duckworks says he can slide the downhaul back and forth on a balanced lug and it will find a sweet spot for windward work. I've also sometimes followed his example on smaller balanced lugs of having a forward location for the downhaul for days with mostly windward work and a slightly further aft location for days with mostly off-wind work. That helps reduce some of the weather helm when a balanced lug is eased on a reach or run (raising the centerboard or leeboard also helps . . .)

      Gary
    • captreed@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 18, 2010
        <having a forward location for the downhaul for days with mostly <windward work and a slightly further aft location for days with mostly <off-wind work.

        Hmmm, I should play with this on my lugs.

        Thanks Gary.

        Reed