Safety First

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2000
      FBBB --

      Got a little careless today and found myself in the line of fire for
      some kick-back from the table saw. The result? An 8x8 inch piece of
      1/4 inch plywood frisbeeing into my left shin at warp speed, then
      ricocheting into my right knee. Big divot out of my shin, smaller one
      out of my knee. Ouch.

      On a brighter note, both masts are stepped and she look unbelievable
      cute. It's causing a minor traffic jam in front of my house. Even
      worse than the table saw incident, we've got threatening weather and
      it looks like we'll have to take it all apart before it starts
      raining.

      YIBB,

      David

      CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
      134 W.26th St. 12th Floor
      New York, NY 10001
      (212) 247-0296
    • David Jost
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2000
        David,
        You have my sympathies here. That has got to hurt. I still have
        a scar on my right leg from being careless with a circular saw while
        building Nymph a few years back.
        We all need little reminders like this to remember how quickly an
        accident can happen. I find that I am far more careful now that my
        children are often watching me.

        1. wear safety glasses
        2. wear gloves
        3. keep long hair and clothing away from moving parts.

        Anyone else care to add to the list? I think we should all take a
        couple of minutes a come up with a list of 10 commandments of safety
        to post around the shop as a simple reminder to be attentive to
        safety. I don't think that Mr. Bolger or other designers would
        approve of having a bunch of builders who are missing various parts
        of
        their bodies and pints of blood.

        David Jost
        "a saxophone player with all his fingers intact"

        > Got a little careless today and found myself in the line of fire
        for
        > some kick-back from the table saw. The result? An 8x8 inch piece of
        > 1/4 inch plywood frisbeeing into my left shin at warp speed, then
        > ricocheting into my right knee. Big divot out of my shin, smaller
        one
        > out of my knee. Ouch.
        >
        > On a brighter note, both masts are stepped and she look
        unbelievable
        > cute. It's causing a minor traffic jam in front of my house. Even
        > worse than the table saw incident, we've got threatening weather
        and
        > it looks like we'll have to take it all apart before it starts
        > raining.
        >
        > YIBB,
        >
        > David
        >
        > CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
        > 134 W.26th St. 12th Floor
        > New York, NY 10001
        > (212) 247-0296
      • DGO
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2000
          --- In bolger@egroups.com, "David Jost" <djost@m...> wrote:
          > David,
          > You have my sympathies here. That has got to hurt. I still
          have
          > a scar on my right leg from being careless with a circular saw
          while
          > building Nymph a few years back.
          > We all need little reminders like this to remember how quickly
          an
          > accident can happen. I find that I am far more careful now that my
          > children are often watching me.
          >
          > 1. wear safety glasses
          > 2. wear gloves
          > 3. keep long hair and clothing away from moving parts.
          >
          > Anyone else care to add to the list?

          When the table saw starts singing, "Come to me," it is time to quit
          for the day.

          DGO.