Featherwind Question

  • steven_dantonio
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 12, 2010
      I was just looking at the plans for the featherwind in one of Phil Bolger's books before ordering.

      There are 2 side profiles. One listed as "expanded side profile". Is this simply a way to expand freeboard so the gunwales are riding a little higher above the water?

      Steven
    • Christopher C. Wetherill

        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 13, 2010
          Hi Chris,

          Thanks. Ok, so I should lay out the expanded profile on the plywood and think of the other one as kind of a projected view. This is good to know.

          Steven

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher C. Wetherill" <wetherillc@...> wrote:

          > In general, it is the "unwrapping" of the curved surface to the flat
          > sheets of plywood for cutting.
          >
          > V/R
          > Chris
          >
          > On 12/12/2010 8:50 PM, steven_dantonio wrote:
          > > I was just looking at the plans for the featherwind in one of Phil Bolger's books before ordering.
          > >
          > > There are 2 side profiles. One listed as "expanded side profile". Is this simply a way to expand freeboard so the gunwales are riding a little higher above the water?
          > >
          > > Steven

        • Peter
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 13, 2010
            > Thanks. Ok, so I should lay out the expanded profile
            > on the plywood and think of the other one as kind of a
            > projected view.

            You're on the right track, I think.

            I think most people would say that one is the shape of the boat, and the other is the shape of the plank.
          • Christopher C. Wetherill
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 13, 2010
              A good way to get a handle on the build philosophy  used in many Bolger designs is to read one of Harold Payson's "Instant Boats" series of books.  I am partial to "Build The New Instant Boats" and "Instant Boat Building with Dynamite Payson"

              V/R
              Chris

              On 12/13/2010 9:54 AM, Peter wrote:
              Thanks.  Ok, so I should lay out the expanded profile
              on the plywood and think of the other one as kind of a
              projected view.

              You're on the right track, I think.

              I think most people would say that one is the shape of the boat, and the other is the shape of the plank.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  bolger-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • sirdarnell
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 13, 2010
                The expanded sides are what you would cut out of a piece(s) of plywood to create the side panels. The un-expanded sides are what the side looks like, after the expanded side is wrapped around the bulkheads and fastened to stem and stern. Some places, like Glen-L, sell patterns for cutting out side panels. These patterns are the same as the expanded sides, except you don't have to do anything except copy the patterns onto the plywood and cut, no measuring needed.

                David