Re: [bolger] Building from plans

  • ALAN WRIDEOUT
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 6, 2010
      Check out Chebacco.com. The whole site is devoted to this one vessel. Best of luck. There is a book you can purchase called " plywood lapstrake boat building". Could be a good resource on the method.

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 6, 2010
        I bought Chebacco plans from Dynamite Payson (see www.instantboats.com) for $60.  The plans are very detailed.  I have built only one boat, a Bolger June Bug, and the number of parts in Chebacco is intimidating.

        Having no experience with lapstrake, I have opted to try a 1/8 scale model of a similar size but simpler design, Jim Michalak's Picara.

        Please send pictures of your boat in progress.

        Bill Howard
        Nellysford VA

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 7, 2010
          Bill,

          The Chebacco plans and building key have been upgraded over the years as different modifications and ideas have been incorporated.

          When I purchased Chebacco 20 plans 6 months ago Susanne included the #540-RD Building key (Ben Ho raised deck Chebacco - see: http://benho2.tripod.com/boatbuilding ) which is 18 pages of very detailed densely typed instructions and discussions. The first 4 pages are descriptions of the boat features and history. The building key starts with the hull assembly sequence which is quite clever and uses minimum moulds and the keel/centreboard case assembly as a backbone that everything else hangs off.

          However, I don't think there is a similar document for the other versions (except Dynamite Payson's book and the Chebacco.com website mentioned in another reply) so you will have to extrapolate and interpret where there are differences.

          And all of the instructions available are for the sheet ply versions. To get specific information on lapstrake construction I have found Oughtred's book on clinker ply excellent. I have also recently purchased "How to Build Glued Lapstrake Wooden Boats" by Brooks and Hill and that is filling in the small number of gaps in Oughtred's book and offers some alternative techniques to achieve the same results.

          I think when you order plans for the Chebacco 20 from Susanne she will send you all of the plans for all of the versions, which adds up to quite a few sheets, a lot of which you won't use once you have decided on the version you will build.

          Andrew

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <realkayaker@...> wrote:

          > I am interested in building the Chebacco sailboat. I want to build the plywood lapstrake version. Can anyone comment on how complete the plans are and how easy they are to follow? I've built several "stitch and tape" kayaks and a small sailboat from plans provided by Chesapeake Light Craft and found them quite easy to follow. Can I expect the same from the Bolger Chebacco plans? I would like to hear from anyone who has built this boat or one of the larger Bolger designs.
          > Thanks
          > Bill

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 7, 2010
            Thanks for the reply. I am assuming that you have bought plans for the sheet ply version?
            I will check out the Picara.

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bill Howard <billh39@...> wrote:

            > I bought Chebacco plans from Dynamite Payson (see www.instantboats.com) for $60. The plans are very detailed. I have built only one boat, a Bolger June Bug, and the number of parts in Chebacco is intimidating.
            >
            > Having no experience with lapstrake, I have opted to try a 1/8 scale model of a similar size but simpler design, Jim Michalak's Picara.
            >
            > (See http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/picara/index.htm)
            >
            > Please send pictures of your boat in progress.
            >
            > Bill Howard
            > Nellysford VA
            >

            > On Dec 6, 2010, at 7:42 PM, ALAN WRIDEOUT wrote:
            >

            > > Check out Chebacco.com. The whole site is devoted to this one vessel. Best of luck. There is a book you can purchase called " plywood lapstrake boat building". Could be a good resource on the method.

          • Bill
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 7, 2010
              Great comments. I have seen the Ben Ho site and I also have Oughtred book as well as the Brooks and Hill book. It seems that at this point, I should buy the plans and start studying. Have you started building?

              Bill

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <a.c.l.yen@...> wrote:

              > Bill,
              >
              > The Chebacco plans and building key have been upgraded over the years as different modifications and ideas have been incorporated.
              >
              > When I purchased Chebacco 20 plans 6 months ago Susanne included the #540-RD Building key (Ben Ho raised deck Chebacco - see: http://benho2.tripod.com/boatbuilding ) which is 18 pages of very detailed densely typed instructions and discussions. The first 4 pages are descriptions of the boat features and history. The building key starts with the hull assembly sequence which is quite clever and uses minimum moulds and the keel/centreboard case assembly as a backbone that everything else hangs off.
              >
              > However, I don't think there is a similar document for the other versions (except Dynamite Payson's book and the Chebacco.com website mentioned in another reply) so you will have to extrapolate and interpret where there are differences.
              >
              > And all of the instructions available are for the sheet ply versions. To get specific information on lapstrake construction I have found Oughtred's book on clinker ply excellent. I have also recently purchased "How to Build Glued Lapstrake Wooden Boats" by Brooks and Hill and that is filling in the small number of gaps in Oughtred's book and offers some alternative techniques to achieve the same results.
              >
              > I think when you order plans for the Chebacco 20 from Susanne she will send you all of the plans for all of the versions, which adds up to quite a few sheets, a lot of which you won't use once you have decided on the version you will build.
              >
              > Andrew
              >
              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <realkayaker@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I am interested in building the Chebacco sailboat. I want to build the plywood lapstrake version. Can anyone comment on how complete the plans are and how easy they are to follow? I've built several "stitch and tape" kayaks and a small sailboat from plans provided by Chesapeake Light Craft and found them quite easy to follow. Can I expect the same from the Bolger Chebacco plans? I would like to hear from anyone who has built this boat or one of the larger Bolger designs.
              > > Thanks
              > > Bill

            • Walter
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 7, 2010
                Another thing you might want to consider is taking a course in boatbuilding. WoodenBoat magazine has a whole summer of courses, and many maritime museums offer courses. Also, some of the boat building schools offer short courses.

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <realkayaker@...> wrote:

                > Great comments. I have seen the Ben Ho site and I also have Oughtred book as well as the Brooks and Hill book. It seems that at this point, I should buy the plans and start studying. Have you started building?
                >
                > Bill
                >
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <a.c.l.yen@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Bill,
                > >
                > > The Chebacco plans and building key have been upgraded over the years as different modifications and ideas have been incorporated.
                > >
                > > When I purchased Chebacco 20 plans 6 months ago Susanne included the #540-RD Building key (Ben Ho raised deck Chebacco - see: http://benho2.tripod.com/boatbuilding ) which is 18 pages of very detailed densely typed instructions and discussions. The first 4 pages are descriptions of the boat features and history. The building key starts with the hull assembly sequence which is quite clever and uses minimum moulds and the keel/centreboard case assembly as a backbone that everything else hangs off.
                > >
                > > However, I don't think there is a similar document for the other versions (except Dynamite Payson's book and the Chebacco.com website mentioned in another reply) so you will have to extrapolate and interpret where there are differences.
                > >
                > > And all of the instructions available are for the sheet ply versions. To get specific information on lapstrake construction I have found Oughtred's book on clinker ply excellent. I have also recently purchased "How to Build Glued Lapstrake Wooden Boats" by Brooks and Hill and that is filling in the small number of gaps in Oughtred's book and offers some alternative techniques to achieve the same results.
                > >
                > > I think when you order plans for the Chebacco 20 from Susanne she will send you all of the plans for all of the versions, which adds up to quite a few sheets, a lot of which you won't use once you have decided on the version you will build.
                > >
                > > Andrew
                > >
                > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <realkayaker@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I am interested in building the Chebacco sailboat. I want to build the plywood lapstrake version. Can anyone comment on how complete the plans are and how easy they are to follow? I've built several "stitch and tape" kayaks and a small sailboat from plans provided by Chesapeake Light Craft and found them quite easy to follow. Can I expect the same from the Bolger Chebacco plans? I would like to hear from anyone who has built this boat or one of the larger Bolger designs.
                > > > Thanks
                > > > Bill

              • Bill Howard
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 7, 2010
                  Correct, sheet ply version from Dynamite Payson, $60.  Does not include building key, but that is available in his book Instant Boatbuilding with Dynamite Payson.

                  On Dec 7, 2010, at 4:21 PM, Bill wrote:

                  Thanks for the reply. I am assuming that you have bought plans for the sheet ply version?
                  I will check out the Picara.

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bill Howard <billh39@...> wrote:

                  > I bought Chebacco plans from Dynamite Payson (see www.instantboats.com) for $60. The plans are very detailed. I have built only one boat, a Bolger June Bug, and the number of parts in Chebacco is intimidating.
                  >
                  > Having no experience with lapstrake, I have opted to try a 1/8 scale model of a similar size but simpler design, Jim Michalak's Picara.
                  >
                  > (See http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/picara/index.htm)
                  >
                  > Please send pictures of your boat in progress.
                  >
                  > Bill Howard
                  > Nellysford VA
                  >

                  > On Dec 6, 2010, at 7:42 PM, ALAN WRIDEOUT wrote:
                  >

                  > > Check out Chebacco.com. The whole site is devoted to this one vessel. Best of luck. There is a book you can purchase called " plywood lapstrake boat building". Could be a good resource on the method.

                • Andrew
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 8, 2010
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <realkayaker@...> wrote:

                    > <snip> Have you started building?
                    >
                    > Bill

                    Bill,

                    Yes I have started building - but I am building the Lapstrake Chebacco 25. I ordered all of the Chebacco 20 plans for reference so that I could potentially learn from Chebacco 20 experience over the years and apply it to the Chebacco 25 design, which hasn't been updated since first drawn.

                    There are a few photos of the build progress on the following website:

                    https://sites.google.com/site/warrandytewoodenboat/

                    Regards,

                    Andrew
                  • daschultz2000
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 9, 2010
                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <a.c.l.yen@...> wrote:
                      >I ordered all of the Chebacco 20 plans for reference so that I could >potentially learn from Chebacco 20 experience over the years and apply >it to the Chebacco 25 design, which hasn't been updated since first >drawn.

                      Good thinking.

                      Don
                    • raykimbro
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 10, 2010
                        All -

                        I've built a couple small Bolger boats - but, have always had a hankering to build the Chebacco. BUT - w/the size of my family, 20' is too small. I think that the 25' version would be just about right - trailerable, easily-sailed rig, yet enough space for my wife & I, and our two youngest.

                        Does anyone know if line drawings or study plans are available?

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz2000" <daschultz8275@...> wrote:

                        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <a.c.l.yen@> wrote:
                        > >I ordered all of the Chebacco 20 plans for reference so that I could >potentially learn from Chebacco 20 experience over the years and apply >it to the Chebacco 25 design, which hasn't been updated since first >drawn.
                        > >

                        > Good thinking.
                        >
                        > Don

                      • Bill Howard
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 10, 2010
                          Plans are in Phil Bolger's Boats With an Open Mind, available from Amazon.

                          See

                          On Dec 10, 2010, at 8:59 AM, raykimbro wrote:

                          All -

                          I've built a couple small Bolger boats - but, have always had a hankering to build the Chebacco. BUT - w/the size of my family, 20' is too small. I think that the 25' version would be just about right - trailerable, easily-sailed rig, yet enough space for my wife & I, and our two youngest.

                          Does anyone know if line drawings or study plans are available?

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz2000" <daschultz8275@...> wrote:

                          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <a.c.l.yen@> wrote:
                          > >I ordered all of the Chebacco 20 plans for reference so that I could >potentially learn from Chebacco 20 experience over the years and apply >it to the Chebacco 25 design, which hasn't been updated since first >drawn.
                          > >

                          > Good thinking.
                          >
                          > Don

                        • Andrew
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 11, 2010
                            The Chebacco 25 drawings in BWAOM are very detailed and I actually built my moulds from the information in the book before the actual drawings arrived.

                            I too decided that 20' wasn't big enough for my (3 primary school aged kids but getting older) family. The big cockpit of the 25 means that my children will have enough space to reduce "sibling friction" and so enhance our family enjoyment of sailing.

                            Andrew

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bill Howard <billh39@...> wrote:

                            > Plans are in Phil Bolger's Boats With an Open Mind, available from Amazon.
                            >
                            > See
                            >
                            > http://www.amazon.com/Boats-Open-Mind-Seventy-Five-Unconventional/dp/0070063761
                          • raykimbro
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 13, 2010