Re: [bolger] Re:Thai long tail

  • Mark Hamill
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2010

      I have a long-tail unit that I use with a 5 hp Briggs and Stratton. I have used it on a "Y" stern freighter canoe in really shallow and murky rivers and can go places a jet boat cannot. The height of the transom is important as one cannot exceed the maximum lubrication operating angle of the engine. In a canoe you need weight or a person in the bow to balance and stabilize. The tail is held onto the engine adapter by a friction fitting. The prop is pretty exposed and requires your though and attention--the prop guards really seem to create terrible drag and I took mine off soon after using it. I can probably find pictures if interested.