[bolger] EC Recreational Craft Directive

  • bianco@asi.it
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
      Dear Bill - they're not that bad though ;-) !!!!

      http://europa.eu.int/comm/dg03/directs/dg3d/d5/reccraft.htm

      Best, Pippo
    • Samson family
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
        Well discovered Pippo! You're a damn sight more useful than any Euro MP
        I've ever encountered.

        Unfortunately their site is down at the moment (surprise!) but I'll be sure
        to study it in detail and see where to go from here.

        Thanks!

        Bill
        -- bill.samson@...

        Chebacco News can be viewed on:
        http://members.xoom.com/billsamson

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
          Hi,

          RCD webpage is back up.

          Seems the Recreational Craft Directive is aimed primarily at boat
          manufacturers (God help them!) trying to sell boats in Europe.

          The good news for amateur builders is that they don't have to comply. The
          bad news is that they may not sell their boats within 5 years of first
          launching them, unless they have a compliance certificate, user's manual,
          builder's plate with the appropriate wording, and all the other irritating
          bits'n bobs the Eurocrats have thought up to make life difficult and to kill
          off any originality in boat design.

          Traditional designs are exempt, too, though the definition of 'traditional'
          seems a bit vague. It's not clear (to me at any rate) whether a
          wood/glass/epoxy hull built to traditional lines would qualify.

          Sigh!

          Bill

          PS Kayaks are exempt! Better get on with that baidarka I'm building - The
          Thought Police won't be able to touch me in that!
          -- bill.samson@...

          Chebacco News can be viewed on:
          http://members.xoom.com/billsamson

          >Dear Bill - they're not that bad though ;-) !!!!
          >
          >http://europa.eu.int/comm/dg03/directs/dg3d/d5/reccraft.htm
          >
          >Best, Pippo

          >-- Check out your eGroup's private Chat room
          >-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=bolger&m=1

        • GHC
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
            I'm sorry, but, what are they going to do to you if you sell your Chebacco
            to your neighbor?

            GHC

          • ernie@surfree.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
              I can well understand your confusion attempting to be legal to a system
              that has neither concept nor reason what traditional boats are all
              about. Nor that reasonable men may decide to take reasonable risks on
              their own.

              Now here's my thought... why not instead of calling it a "boat" call it
              a "lawn ornament," and if the end user decides on their own to mis-use
              the product, that’s not your concern.

              Just a thought.
            • Bill Samson
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 1999
                Probably nothing, unless the neighbour goes and has an accident and there's
                an investigation. Even then, it's unlikely that any court of law will have
                heard of the RCD. It's really this thinly veiled 'Big Brother' thing that
                bugs me. I guess these guys won't be happy until they've got something on
                everybody that they can threaten them with.

                Bill

              • Samson family
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 3, 1999
                  Lovely idea, Ernie! I wonder how long it'll take them to figure the scam?

                  Bill
                  -- bill.samson@...

                  Chebacco News can be viewed on:
                  http://members.xoom.com/billsamson

                  I can well understand your confusion attempting to be legal to a system
                  that has neither concept nor reason what traditional boats are all
                  about. Nor that reasonable men may decide to take reasonable risks on
                  their own.

                  Now here's my thought... why not instead of calling it a "boat" call it
                  a "lawn ornament," and if the end user decides on their own to mis-use
                  the product, that’s not your concern.

                  Just a thought.

                  -- Create a poll/survey for your eGroup!
                  -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=bolger&m=1