Re: [bolger] Re: Micro rudder

  • Adirondack Goodboat
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 10, 2010
      Myles's point is well taken. I found that when I first put the rig on my Micro, the partners and step made by the original builder gave me a mast too nearly vertical. I didn't mind the sailing balance so much as the fact that the clew seemed too high: not such a good angle for the sheet. I have worked the partners over twice to rake the mast more and guess it is about to design rake now, and looks better to my eye, a little less raked than the mizzen. Sheeting in hard causes perhaps a little less mast-bending. All very unscientific. Balance and performance this way are certainly satisfactory. It will be fun to get together with a couple of Micros again, someday, as we did at Gloucester last year, and compare notes on several points. I particularly want to see if my little swinging plate centerboard is really doing any good. Meanwhile am happy in my ignorance, thinking it does.  ---Mason

      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 14, 2010
        End plates help a low aspect ratio rudder, if it's shoal water you're after, but a high aspect ratio reduces drag the most.  The high aspect ratio rudder can be smaller and you will get some reduced helm effort.  For more greatly reducing helm effort, the "balanced" aspect of a rudder is more important.  You can mix and match - a low aspect rudder can be balanced to get low helm effort.  You're arms are happy, but the rudder is draggy and the boat is not moving as it could.  - Bill