Re: Micro rudder

  • William
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 10, 2010
      Myles,
      Good point, and I modified my mast a bit two years ago in an attempt to induce some lee helm, to counteract the weather helm.
      BUT, I thought I would need to rake the mast FORWARD (move the top of the mast out in front of the bow) more, instead of raking it back. Moving the mast forward, dropping the bow of the boat, raising the stern of the boat, or adding a headsail would all help induce lee helm, yes? Or did I read this incorrectly (in which case I should be raking my mast aft, towards the stern of the boat).

      Ja? or no?
      Bill

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Myles J. Swift" <mswift@...> wrote:

      > This discussion has got me wondering if maybe you might need to rake the
      > mast back a bit. On my Micro it takes a good strong wind ( over 20 for sure)
      > to develop any weather helm if the mizzen is not doing anything. I used to
      > have a hard time getting people to believe it had so much lee helm without
      > the mizzen in play.
      >

      > MylesJ

    • Kathy Kreamer
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 14, 2010
        End plates help a low aspect ratio rudder, if it's shoal water you're after, but a high aspect ratio reduces drag the most.  The high aspect ratio rudder can be smaller and you will get some reduced helm effort.  For more greatly reducing helm effort, the "balanced" aspect of a rudder is more important.  You can mix and match - a low aspect rudder can be balanced to get low helm effort.  You're arms are happy, but the rudder is draggy and the boat is not moving as it could.  - Bill