Re: Micro rudder

  • dennislancaster36
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 9, 2010
      I haven't sailed my OldShoe in 20 knot winds, but have run off wind in 10+ winds. I like to place my main and mizzen "wing on wing".. she moves like a witch. Helm is light and predictable.

      Dennis
      OldShoe "Pearl"
      Bellingham, WA.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Adirondack Goodboat" <goodboat@...> wrote:

      > I am fascinated by these good accounts of sailing Micros or Long Micros on beam reaches in 20+ winds. I have come close to these conditions for long periods on Lake Champlain, with lesser seas and perhaps just-under 20 kt winds, but I was on two separate 7-hour sailing days working upwind; There, the boat sailed herself, without a reef, and the tiller unlashed. I literally bestirred myself to steer only to push the helm alee to tack, then let it go again. On a reach those conditions, in big seas I can imagine a lot of steering, but I want to ask, if you find much weather helm as such, how are you setting your mizzen? For that matter, how are you setting your main?
      > Behind the questions is my habit of luffing the mizzen, on a reach, even to the point where it's not driving at all, if it is causing much weather helm; and my habit of easing the main on a reach to the point where it is working as a foil, dividing and reshaping the wind, almost as when beating. I do see, watching other boats, that this is not common practice, and I am not sure that it is fastest, but I like it anyway, for its maximizing the forward vector of wind-force an lessening heeling moment. It should also lessen weather helm -- yes? or no? ---Mason

    • Kathy Kreamer
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 14, 2010
        End plates help a low aspect ratio rudder, if it's shoal water you're after, but a high aspect ratio reduces drag the most.  The high aspect ratio rudder can be smaller and you will get some reduced helm effort.  For more greatly reducing helm effort, the "balanced" aspect of a rudder is more important.  You can mix and match - a low aspect rudder can be balanced to get low helm effort.  You're arms are happy, but the rudder is draggy and the boat is not moving as it could.  - Bill