Here's something Bolger inspired

  • Joe Stromski
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 30, 2010
      Looks like Ross Lillistone drew up a set of plans for a 27ft powerboat
      "Three Brothers". The design was commissioned to replace his friends
      Sharpshooter. I'm interested in this design, as it seems to address the
      reasons I've ruled out the Tennessee as a future build, that being
      performance in a chop. It's on the "latest news" page at the link below.
      http://www.baysidewoodenboats.com.au/
      Best,
      Joe
    • daschultz2000
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 31, 2010
        Nice looking boat. You could consider also a power only variations of Michalak's larger sailboats, like Cormorant. Leave off the sail rig, lee boards, and water ballast to speed the build. Even his slot top Petesboat would be a suspect.

        Don
      • baysidewoodenboats
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
          Joe,

          Thank-you for the posting about 'Three Brothers'. You are correct in thinking that she was inspired by Phil Bolger, but that applies to every one of my published designs. It is not that I deliberately went out with the intention of copying PCB's style - in fact, I hate the idea of copying - but the fact is that of all the designers I have studied over the last forty-five years, Phil's work is what has struck the most resonant chord. Therefore, no matter what work I do, I find his philosophy (or I should say, my understanding of his philosophy)keeps bubbling to the surface.

          Here is a recent example. She may not strike one as being trade-mark Bolger at first glance, but a study of her structure and rig will reveal that she is heavily influenced by Phil's words and designs.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mazM15TACjc

          Phil Bolger was my most important teacher in life. Even though I never met him, his influence exceeds that of any teacher with whom I have come into contact. Such a generous man with his insights.

          Ross Lillistone www.baysidewoodenboats.com.au

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Joe Stromski <j.stromski@...> wrote:

          > Looks like Ross Lillistone drew up a set of plans for a 27ft powerboat
          > "Three Brothers". The design was commissioned to replace his friends
          > Sharpshooter. I'm interested in this design, as it seems to address the
          > reasons I've ruled out the Tennessee as a future build, that being
          > performance in a chop. It's on the "latest news" page at the link below.
          > http://www.baysidewoodenboats.com.au/
          > Best,
          > Joe

        • Joseph Stromski
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
            Ross, my pleasure. As a proud owner of a Michalak AF4, I know of the Bolger legacy. I'm a big music lover, and love listening to how newer bands put their own twist on familiar styles, or even draw inspiration from specific artists. I suspect boat design is much like that, in that there's really very little "new", just constantly evolving ways of re-interpreting the past. Combine your own talent with inspirational material that resonates with your soul. You can't go wrong.
            Has a prototype 3 Brothers been built? I'd be extremely interested in hearing more about her...
            Best,
            Joe

            Thank-you for the posting about 'Three Brothers'. You are correct in thinking that she was inspired by Phil Bolger, but that applies to every one of my published designs. It is not that I deliberately went out with the intention of copying PCB's style - in fact, I hate the idea of copying - but the fact is that of all the designers I have studied over the last forty-five years, Phil's work is what has struck the most resonant chord. Therefore, no matter what work I do, I find his philosophy (or I should say, my understanding of his philosophy)keeps bubbling to the surface.

            Here is a recent example. She may not strike one as being trade-mark Bolger at first glance, but a study of her structure and rig will reveal that she is heavily influenced by Phil's words and designs.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mazM15TACjc

            Phil Bolger was my most important teacher in life. Even though I never met him, his influence exceeds that of any teacher with whom I have come into contact. Such a generous man with his insights.

            Ross Lillistone www.baysidewoodenboats.com.au

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Joe Stromski <j.stromski@...> wrote:

            > Looks like Ross Lillistone drew up a set of plans for a 27ft powerboat
            > "Three Brothers". The design was commissioned to replace his friends
            > Sharpshooter. I'm interested in this design, as it seems to address the
            > reasons I've ruled out the Tennessee as a future build, that being
            > performance in a chop. It's on the "latest news" page at the link below.
            > http://www.baysidewoodenboats.com.au/
            > Best,
            > Joe

          • baysidewoodenboats
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
              Joe,

              I'm with you about drawing inspiration from others, and the evolutionary process.

              Yes, there is a prototype "Three Brothers" being built in New Jersey, but the fellow attempting the build has been delayed by a knee injury. I think he is getting into it now, though. I really like the design, and my only concern is how well the bottom panels will take the twist and bend in the forward sections. The panels are proper "developable" shapes, but I call for 1/2" ply there and it is stiff stuff!. I've done a test assembly using 1/16" ply in a 1/8-scale model and that worked beautifully. The New Jersey builder is not at all concerned, and plans on running a few saw kerfs if necessary. My approach (if there turns out to be a problem) would be to use 1/4" in the first eight feet of the bottom panel, and laminate another layer after the initial sewing together. Having said that, I hope that 1/2" will do the job, and I plan on doing a test "un-folding" of the forward eight feet at full-size, using 1/2".

              Best wishes,

              Ross Lillistone http://www.baysidewoodenboats.com.au

            • echo172@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2010

                I'm building the prototype in NJ. I have no concern for torturing plywood. If it's a problem there are many solutions, such as cold molding the bow, strip planking, kerfs, and a host of alternatives I can dream up. My knee replacement has slowed the build and the striper season is here in NJ so my reliable Flint with a 6hp yamaha is my current fishing platform.

                I think Ross is generous in his Bolger credit because he built a bunch of Bolger designs, hard ones at that. His boat is on the new thinking, perhaps credit to Bolger; light boat, low power. I will have her ready for next season and she will be painted with two pack primer and top coat. I made a huge mistake using single paints, and they were costly, but won't take any standing water for any length of time. Interlux was the brand, the hull is perfect, two pack, but inside where the single mix was used per mfg. direction, the paint has blishered, cracked, delaminated. Total sanding and repaint is a must. Spend the money, cheaper in the long run, IMO.

                Bruce in NJ

                I'm with you about drawing inspiration from others, and the evolutionary process.

                Yes, there is a prototype "Three Brothers" being built in New Jersey, but the fellow attempting the build has been delayed by a knee injury. I think he is getting into it now, though. I really like the design, and my only concern is how well the bottom panels will take the twist and bend in the forward sections. The panels are proper "developable" shapes, but I call for 1/2" ply there and it is stiff stuff!. I've done a test assembly using 1/16" ply in a 1/8-scale model and that worked beautifully. The New Jersey builder is not at all concerned, and plans on running a few saw kerfs if necessary. My approach (if there turns out to be a problem) would be to use 1/4" in the first eight feet of the bottom panel, and laminate another layer after the initial sewing together. Having said that, I hope that 1/2" will do the job, and I plan on doing a test "un-folding" of the forward eight feet at full-size, using 1/2".

                Best wishes,

                Ross Lillistone http://www.baysidewoodenboats.com.au

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Stromski <j.stromski@...> wrote:

                > Ross, my pleasure. As a proud owner of a Michalak AF4, I know of the Bolger
                > legacy. I'm a big music lover, and love listening to how newer bands put their
                > own twist on familiar styles, or even draw inspiration from specific artists. I
                > suspect boat design is much like that, in that there's really very little "new",
                > just constantly evolving ways of re-interpreting the past. Combine your own
                > talent with inspirational material that resonates with your soul. You can't go
                > wrong.
                > Has a prototype 3 Brothers been built? I'd be extremely interested in hearing
                > more about her...
                > Best,
                > Joe
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Mark Albanese
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 9, 2010
                  Here's another looking to me just so in just about every way.
                  http://turtleislands.net/mc/default.html
                • Pippo
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 12, 2010
                    That is a FANTASTIC boat. Pity that no plans are available.

                    > Here's another looking to me just so in just about every way.
                    > http://turtleislands.net/mc/default.html

                  • Russell Dawkins
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 13, 2010
                      here's a great page of travelog links: