[bolger] Re: Door skins & glass

  • bianco@asi.it
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 1999
      Just as an added info, Jacques Mertens of bateau.com is reengineering
      his larger boats (Vagabond and Serpentaire) using thin plywood (6 mm)
      sandwiched between two layers of biaxial fiberglass (9 oz) in epoxy
      resin. The advantages are not only structural: the 6mm plywood is much
      easier to bend and wrap around bulkheads than thicker stuff. Jacques
      says that such sandwich is significantly stronger than 9 mm plywood.
      According to my computations, though, the gain in weight is very
      limited if any, and the overall cost is very significantly increased.
      And, folks, just think about crawling into a 6 meter hull and laminated
      10 square meters of biaxial cloth...
      Best, Pippo

      ghc <ghart-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=643
      > Actually, glass is very, very, very strong. A good fir might be
      14,000 psi
      > in tensile strength (at best with no flaws), but E glass is good for
      > 450,000 psi! It's relatively dense, though, and a thin sheet of
      plywood
      > doesn't spread it apart very far for your composite sandwich. Wood is
      > light, and relatively strong, so it's easier to get a lot more wood
      in a
      > structure than glass (with minimal resin).
      >
      > In bending of a panel, the tensile and compressive stresses do lie on
      the
      > surface, but the shear flows through the middle, trying to separate
      your
      > sandwich. Your core needs to have good material properties, like
      balsa or
      > klegecell, not like blue styrofoam.
      >
      > Gregg Carlson
      >

      > At 02:24 PM 11/1/1999 -0800, you wrote:
      > >David Ryan wrote:
      > >
      > >> I've been wondering about using very thin plywood in combination
      with
      > >> a heavier glass job to make very light boat (kayaks, hollow paddle
      > >> boards, etc.)
      > >
      > >This idea seems to stem from the mistaken notion that glass is
      stronger
      > >and lighter than wood, especially plywood. It is not, particularly in
      > >the stiffness modulus, which is the most important in boat building.
      In