Re: Leg-o-mutton mast question.

  • Joe T
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 22, 2010
      SURF plans specify 1 3/4 in. square, minimum. On several boats I have used this sail on a round mast, 2 inches at the bottom, set into a length of PVC pipe from step to just above the partner. The areas at the base are 3.0625 and 3.14 sq. in., respectively, so I feel comfortable with 2" diameter.

      Dimensions, expressed in tenths of an inch, starting at the peak and each two feet down are: .875 (7/8-), 1.285, 1.57, 1.786, 1.93, and 2 inches continuing to the bottom. Build from two pieces 3/4 in. with a 1/2 in. between. Stagger all scarfs. The sail luff is 14' 3", allowing for stretch, so suggest you make the mast 16 feet, then cut off a bit later if needed.

      Works fine for me.

      Joe T