Isometric, 32ft Fast Sport Fisherman, 70 mph

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2010
      http://www.hallman.org/bolger/FastSportFisherman/

      It is funny how often you hear people speak of PCB as, that is the guy
      who designs the boxy boats. When, the truth is that he designed so
      many boats of so many types that the boxy boats only stand out in
      people's minds for some reason or another.

      This isometric is "for a man who was fed up with seeing Cigarette
      types blast by him. He wanted a 60-knot burst speed" Powered by a
      pair of 454 cubic inch Chevrolet engines.
    • Peter
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2010
        > It is funny how often you hear people speak of PCB as, that is the guy
        > who designs the boxy boats. When, the truth is that he designed so
        > many boats of so many types that the boxy boats only stand out in
        > people's minds for some reason or another.

        IMHO, as a sailboat designer, PCB was a gifted simplifier, plus he pursued a few novel ideas that most designers would have discarded, e.g. Birdwatcher cabins and "crude" shapes to be planked with panel material.

        However, I think he had great genius for the nuance of powerboat lines, and did some great powerboats.
      • Matthew L
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 14, 2010
          It's true that Bolger's many more traditional designs are overshadowed by the plywood boxes, but he did do some wonderful traditional powerboats. Not surprisingly for a designer that spent almost his whole life in New England, PCB did some fine lobster boats and fishing type. I remember one called "California Lobsterboat" that always caughyt my eye, sleek and rugged at the same time using only a single inboard engine. I always thought it would make a fine light patrol boat as well.

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

          > > It is funny how often you hear people speak of PCB as, that is the guy
          > > who designs the boxy boats. When, the truth is that he designed so
          > > many boats of so many types that the boxy boats only stand out in
          > > people's minds for some reason or another.
          >
          > IMHO, as a sailboat designer, PCB was a gifted simplifier, plus he pursued a few novel ideas that most designers would have discarded, e.g. Birdwatcher cabins and "crude" shapes to be planked with panel material.
          >
          > However, I think he had great genius for the nuance of powerboat lines, and did some great powerboats.

        • Christopher C. Wetherill
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 14, 2010
            IIRC, this was a design for an offshore race of some kind.