Re: Storm Petrel (was...Featherwind or Dave Carnell's Nutmeg?)

  • c.ruzer
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2010
      A 10 sheet boat? 9 off 3/8" plywood sheets - required when hatch enlarged to doghouse? Plus part of another for the modified ply keel? (The remainder might be sufficient for the interchangeable low hatch cover per Stephen's fishing scenario.)

      Looking at the modified keel sketch http://www.belljar.net/bolgersp.htm ;and

      "What follows are excerpts from Phil's letter to me:

      The plywood keel is likely to be stronger for beaching etc. than the designed steel one though the latter could readily be strengthened with more flange to the hull. In ballasting the keel, allow for the greater buoyancy of the thicker wood keel."

      Would the draft now be reduced to approximately 12"?

      Would that stronger, shallower keel make Storm Petrel more of an easy trailerable boat? The keel so shallow as to present little added difficulty to launch and retreival? So shallow it may in fact support no other weight on the trailer, hung from the bunk supported hull?

      That seems to be what's occuring here with another extremely shallow keeled, 10 off 3/8" sheet boat, Catfish: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=118161&id=100001418541739&l=cac0d0c18e&ref=fbx_album

      Catfish Beachcruiser

      http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=16353&id=100001418541739&l=cac0d0c18e&page=3

      http://www.dca.uk.com/safety.htm - does CF satisfy?