Single-handing a Chebacco

  • Ralph Wight
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2000
      Lots of good answers to my previous question on "Safety of ballasted
      vs. unballasted open boats". I have another question, that actually
      is related, for the Chebacco owners.

      What are the most severe conditions (wind speed, wave height) that
      you
      feel comfortable in single-handing the Chebacco?

      A little background on why am interested and why I asked the first
      question about ballasted open boats: For a number of years I owned a
      boat that was similar to the Chebacco in some ways. It was an open,
      unballasted boat with a 155 sq. ft. gaff sail (cat rig, not a yawl
      like Chebacco). At anything above about 8-10 knots it required one
      other experienced person as crew- one person on the tiller and one on
      the mainsheet. Also, two people helped when reefing was needed. The
      added ballast of an addtional crew was also a benefit.

      I am somewhat older now :-( and am looking for a boat that is less
      demanding that I could sail by myself sometimes or take out my
      grandchildren. That was why I started thinking about a ballasted
      boat
      although I like the Chebacco (have for years).

      Ralph Wight