Re: [bolger] Re: Did I miss anybody with e-mail requests ?

  • Robb
    Message 1 of 58 , Oct 4, 2010
      And my 2 cents worth too...
      I wouldn't buckle to the duckworks pressure........I lost all respect after
      they turned the texas 200 into a "members only yacht club"
      I think part of why Phil did business the way he did, was because people
      very often lead themselves down the wrong path when deciding what boat to
      build. Keeping sales more personal and not "bulk" is not such a bad idea.
      Robb

      Message 58 of 58 , Oct 7, 2010
        Nels,

        Of course stock plans should be mailed in a reasonable amount of time if the business is able to. For the past year it has not been able to.

        As for commissions. Ask anyone who has dealt with an artist. Even with the best of intentions an artist cannot necessarily finish commissions in the order they are received. Some are begun with an obsessive inspiration are not a full enough expression to carry to completion. If you think it is any less frustrating to the artist than to the person who has commissioned the art you are wrong. Committing to a themed gallery show when the work is not already existent, is a sure way to disaster, usually fudging to get by and have something to fill the space.

        A Mr. Cunningham asked Phil to design the AS-29 quite a few years before Phil was inspired to design the AS-29. At least the words Cunningham wrote were nearly identical to my own and the AS-29 is the boat I was going to ask Phil to design. Phil's response in SBJ was classic Phil, and floored me. ROGUE's interior is in function and many respects layout nearly identical to AS-29. What is to get mad about? Other things were inspiring Phil, and some of those boats have been built and have given people pleasure. Phil's design work has inspired other designers. I felt mighty discouraged reading Phil's response to Mr. Cunningham, but I certainly didn't feel any animosity. Later I felt irony that he did design the AS-29, but anger, no.

        My response was to order more design books, and read and re-read again all the books I had. In the end I wanted a Bolger boat, and because he wouldn't design the boat I wanted, I radically modified a Bolger hull form and liberally drew from a whole boat load of Bolger ideas in my making the boat I wanted.

        The people who are not getting their designs fast enough can stop the process and try another designer. Can try their own hand and show their ideas to perhaps inspire results. Or they can be patient. In his books Phil shows at least on boat design that did not work because of too much effort and too little inspiration, and though commissioned and no doubt paid for, was never built.

        As for character, there is an award winning power boat design that Phil discouraged a potential buyer from pursuing because Phil did not think the boat would be a good investment. Phil lost a commission for a design. And the waters were not graced with an inspired design.
        Eric