RE: [bolger] Re: Did I miss anybody with e-mail requests ?

  • Dennis Mcfadden
    Message 1 of 58 , Oct 3, 2010
       I add my support to the comments of John Kohnen and Dennis Lancaster. Though I do not personally know  any of the players in this set ( Suzanne, Chuck & Sandra) I have dealt with Duckworks Plans. There was a screw up ( not their fault) which they sorted out promptly. I get the sense that they are straight forward, honest people whose hobby and interests launched them into a business as well as an avocation. The business part hasn't taken over their love of boating and the enjoyment of people like those on this site who are builders and participants. That they published "Grover's" complaint does not equate to using it as a marketing tool. They issue an e-magazine which presumably allows comment much as any newspaper does. Don't shoot the messenger.

      Dennis
      Scram Pram
      Vancouver, BC

      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      From: dennislancaster36@...
      Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 14:35:12 +0000
      Subject: [bolger] Re: Did I miss anybody with e-mail requests ?

      thank you John, well said.

      Dennis
      "Old Shoe" Pearl
      Bellingham, Wa

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:

      > I know Chuck Leinweber of Duckworks, and have to defend him against this
      > anonymous "libel." He's not someone who'd "remain miffed" over being
      > rebuffed by PB&F after offering to market their plans. Do we even know if
      > anything like that ever happened? He's not some cutthroat competitor who'd
      > maliciously try to harm his rivals (are there any people like that in the
      > small boat plans business? I've never encountered any...). He's got plenty
      > of business to keep himself and Sandra busy, and is more interested in
      > having time to go boating than in expanding their business until it eats
      > up too much of their life.
      >
      > Chuck only published a letter from a disgruntled customer of PB&F. If
      > there's any truth behind Grover's gripe, there's no libel, and there may
      > be something to it, given the chaotic state of PB&F in the last few years.
      > Acknowledging the troubles of PB&F by no means indicates that I think
      > there was ever any intentional wrongdoing by Susanne!
      >
      > PB&F is hardly a competitor with anyone in the boat plans business now.
      > It's just too difficult to find out about the plans Susan sells and then
      > make a purchase. Short of having someone build and maintain a Website for
      > PB&F, like I did for another widow, Pat Atkin, and put together a catalog,
      > Duckworks would be an excellent way to market Bolger's plans. I don't know
      > why Susanne would be resistant to the idea. <shrug> Duckworks handles the
      > online catalog and deals with the payments, the designer ships the plans.
      > The plans are never out of the designers control, so there's no chance of
      > problems like PB&F have had with Common Sense Boats and Duckflat down in
      > the Antipodes. Jim Michalak has been happily using Duckworks for many
      > years to sell his plans, and I'm sure he'd be willing to tell Susanne
      > about it, if she'd ask.
      >
      > On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 20:42:04 -0700, c.ruzer wrote:

      > > It's apparent that Duckworks Inc remain miffed by refusal of their
      > > proposals from long ago to market PB&F plans. Their current behaviour
      > > can only be seen as a strong-arm move toward getting their cut out of
      > > PB&F. Reed's comments give an indication of the disemination, and
      > > traction the duck-workover has through the interweb.
      >

      > --
      > John (jkohnen@...)
      > The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
      > always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of
      > doubts. (Bertrand Russell)

    • Eric
      Message 58 of 58 , Oct 7, 2010
        Nels,

        Of course stock plans should be mailed in a reasonable amount of time if the business is able to. For the past year it has not been able to.

        As for commissions. Ask anyone who has dealt with an artist. Even with the best of intentions an artist cannot necessarily finish commissions in the order they are received. Some are begun with an obsessive inspiration are not a full enough expression to carry to completion. If you think it is any less frustrating to the artist than to the person who has commissioned the art you are wrong. Committing to a themed gallery show when the work is not already existent, is a sure way to disaster, usually fudging to get by and have something to fill the space.

        A Mr. Cunningham asked Phil to design the AS-29 quite a few years before Phil was inspired to design the AS-29. At least the words Cunningham wrote were nearly identical to my own and the AS-29 is the boat I was going to ask Phil to design. Phil's response in SBJ was classic Phil, and floored me. ROGUE's interior is in function and many respects layout nearly identical to AS-29. What is to get mad about? Other things were inspiring Phil, and some of those boats have been built and have given people pleasure. Phil's design work has inspired other designers. I felt mighty discouraged reading Phil's response to Mr. Cunningham, but I certainly didn't feel any animosity. Later I felt irony that he did design the AS-29, but anger, no.

        My response was to order more design books, and read and re-read again all the books I had. In the end I wanted a Bolger boat, and because he wouldn't design the boat I wanted, I radically modified a Bolger hull form and liberally drew from a whole boat load of Bolger ideas in my making the boat I wanted.

        The people who are not getting their designs fast enough can stop the process and try another designer. Can try their own hand and show their ideas to perhaps inspire results. Or they can be patient. In his books Phil shows at least on boat design that did not work because of too much effort and too little inspiration, and though commissioned and no doubt paid for, was never built.

        As for character, there is an award winning power boat design that Phil discouraged a potential buyer from pursuing because Phil did not think the boat would be a good investment. Phil lost a commission for a design. And the waters were not graced with an inspired design.
        Eric