Re: A real forgotten gem, Bolger 554 Camping Trimaran using Hobie Cat parts!

  • hs
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 25, 2010
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "daschultz2000" <daschultz8275@...> wrote:

      > Having read the essay, I conclude the well may have a floor/deck with scuppers. If not, I'd probably make it free flooding with flappers on the drains.
      >
      > Don
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "hs" <hardystein2004@> wrote:
      > > Does anyone know how this boat looks at the bow ?
      > > The drawing looks a little ambiguous to me ...is it just a " foot well"
      > > for rope anchor etc ...or to make stepping off easier ?
      > >
      > > How much water would this hold if swamped ?

      Thanks ,

      Sounds like a good plan.
      Is the essay on the web?
      Always like reading Phil`s essays.

      Thanks again.
    • gary
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 26, 2010
        The bow is a "sugar scoop," similar to the bow on an AS 19; it can't hold water because it's open at the front. Could be an impressive thump if it plowed into a steep wave or a motorboat wake. I had the plans and toyed with building it (until I spilled rubbing alcohol on the drawings and erased part of them). The accommodations were impressive and it looked to be a quick boat. I was concerned about the bow and the other potential drawback was the potentially long setup time. But with a bimini over the cockpit, it looked like a great boat for a week or better coastal cruise.

        Gary

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 29, 2010
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gary" <gbship@...> wrote:

          > The bow is a "sugar scoop," similar to the bow on an AS 19; it can't hold water because it's open at the front. Could be an impressive thump if it plowed into a steep wave or a motorboat wake. I had the plans and toyed with building it (until I spilled rubbing alcohol on the drawings and erased part of them). The accommodations were impressive and it looked to be a quick boat. I was concerned about the bow and the other potential drawback was the potentially long setup time. But with a bimini over the cockpit, it looked like a great boat for a week or better coastal cruise.
          >
          > Gary
          >
          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "hs" <hardystein2004@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Does anyone know how this boat looks at the bow ?
          > >
          > > The drawing looks a little ambiguous to me ...is it just a " foot well"
          > > for rope anchor etc ...or to make stepping off easier ?
          > >
          > > How much water would this hold if swamped ?

          Many thanks Gary.

          Pity about the setup time tho` .