[bolger] Re: Drain Plugs

  • Richard Barnes
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 1999
      > yup, i put a transom drain in my diablo last season, and it's changed my
      > life.

      Ummmmm,......

      As in now your boat is much better.... ;or now your boat is on the
      bottom?????

      As a potential Diablo builder I am curious about the boat and your
      impressions, plus more specifics about the transom plug.

      I am currently building the Glen-L design "Sweet Caroline" as a stitch and
      glue boat ( intending to include transom plugs )and may build a Diablo or
      Diablo Grande to accompany it. Did you consider the Diablo Grande?

      Thanks,
      Richard
    • Samson family
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 1999
        FYI - Picture of Tim Smith's stretched Diablo is to be found in Chebacco
        News #28.
        -- bill.samson@...

        Chebacco News can be viewed on:
        http://members.xoom.com/billsamson

      • sailormon@torchlake.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 1999
          monic-@... wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=611
          > Does anyone else use drain plugs on their boats?
          >
          > After the first week my Galley was actually outside I was shocked to
          > realize rain would actually collect inside it. So I got a brace and a
          1
          > inch bit and made a hole at the lowest rocker point. After it dried I
          > took a PVC threaded end and epoxied that in place, first stuffing
          paper
          > towells into it to keep the threads clean. After it cured I faired it
          > on the botom with a belt sander. The cap screws in from the inside.
          > Cost me 2-3 bucks for the PVC fittings. Has worked for years now.
          >
          > Anyone else do something like this?
          > Good idea on drain plugs, did the same on a much larger vessel. You
          can make the scoops out of a larger PVC pipe. Cut it at an angle, then
          epoxy tape it over the drain and paint to match. Brad
        • timk_smith@fortunemail.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 1999
            i used a bronze half-inch garboard plug with a socket attached from the
            outside. she still floats. but if she sinks, i'd consider a diablo
            grande. the plans weren't yet available when i built mine. don't know
            of anyone who's built the bigger boat, but the extra freeboard might be
            nice. on the other hand, that long skinny shape is awfully good in a
            quartering sea....