Mippet

  • Dave Gentry
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2010

      I thought some of you might be interested in my take on Bolger's Amesbury Skiff "Mippet," as seen in his book "Small Boats."

      She's not a real Mippet - and I wonder if any have ever been built? - as mine is adapted to skin-on-frame construction.  Mr. Bolger's design was meant for batten seam plywood construction, and SOF was a logical and relatively easy conversion. She's built in the non-traditional style that I often use, and constructed of WRC, marine ply and ballistic nylon.

      9"6"x3'6" and weighs only about 30lbs without the thwarts, which I'll add tomorrow.

      Questions and comments welcomed!

      Dave Gentry

      www.GentryCustomBoats.com

    • Peter
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2010
        > I thought some of you might be interested in my take on Bolger's
        > Amesbury Skiff "Mippet," as seen in his book "Small Boats."

        Very pretty.

        I'd be afraid that using such light construction for a boat with a narrow bottom would produce a tippy boat. How does she go?
      • Dave Gentry
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2010
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <pvanderwaart@...>
          > Very pretty.
          >
          > I'd be afraid that using such light construction for a boat with a narrow bottom would produce a tippy boat. How does she go?

          Thanks! She rows just dandy. Responsive and maneuverable, and rows well with two adults, also. A bit tippy, yes, but I ascribe that to her narrow beam. I'm sure displacement has something to do with that, but in any case, it's only something one notes - not a problem.

          I'll post another pic in the file.

          Dave Gentry