Re: sanding, lumps, rudder

  • Vince Chew
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
      David,

      If you are asking if my glass sheathing continues across the
      butt-joints, the answer is yes. My work table is 40 ft. long
      (sawhorses and planks). I joined all of the sheets (5) in each
      layer using three layers of 9 oz. bias tape on each side.
      After building six layers one on top the other, I drew the
      curvature of one side of the bottom and sawed the curve in as
      many layers as my circular saw would penetrate (4 and part way
      into layer 5) at one time. I applied glass cloth in epoxy to
      the top two layers in the stack (had to flip one of them
      first). These were then turned over and became the bottom
      layer of the 3 layer bottom. BTW I am using 1/2 in. MDO. I
      have a series of rope block-and-tackles which slide in
      sections of sliding door track attached to my rafters on 8 ft.
      centers. I can lift a 40' x 4' x1/2" panel off my table and
      maneuver it over to the boat in about 4 minutes. I have to go
      up and down the line adjusting pulleys several times during
      the maneuver. I cleat the tails of the rope tackles on the
      handles of the C clamps which I use to grab onto the panel.
      After getting 2 layers attached to the bottom with thickened
      epoxy and screws, I could then finish cutting through the rest
      of the layers following the saw kerf left in layer 5. There is
      a full lenghth center shoe (keel) on this design which is
      about 2 ft wide and 4 layers of 1/2 in. ply thick. This allows
      the bottom layers to run fore and aft joining up the center
      over this shoe. So the center 2 ft of the hull is 7 layers of
      1/2 in. (Bolger designed this hull as a river cruiser, and
      there are all sorts of things found floating in most rivers.
      Hopefully, the bottom of my boat will take an occasional
      floating log in stride.) I am just today glueing the last
      layers of the bottom onto the hull.

      Vince