Re: Oldshoe build progresses

  • prairiedog2332
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 15, 2010
      I look forward to seeing Oldshoe with a balance lug main. I think that
      is a great idea.

      One nice thing besides the shorter mast moved further aft the bow- where
      there is more buoyancy - is that when it is reefed the COE does not
      move forward as much as with a leg-o-mutton main and may be easier to
      reef with jiffy reefing.

      Nels

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gravelyrider" <denandel01@...> wrote:

      > I want to thank everyone that responded regarding the Oldshoe. This
      group has a great amount of wisdom and experience.

      > Realistically ,I now see that I won't be on the water this fall
      (frost warning tonight here). I can see that now. while I still want
      to use a balanced lug for this boat, I have 6 months to also make the
      19' mast and 72 sq ft leg-o-mutton sail as the plans show. It's only
      two 20' 2x4's and a tarp. After hearing your comments regarding this
      sail, I realize it's the right thing to do.

      > Be prepared to see this Oldshoe sailing next spring with 2 different
      sail rigs.

      > I did get the gunwales on and the paint finished over the last week,
      but there's still many little , and some not so little, things to do
      before the boat can be trailered any distance and used as anything
      other than a very slow motorboat.