Re: [bolger] Safety of ballasted vs. unballasted open boats

  • Jeff Gilbert
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2000
      Id like to be in a Chebaco, with a few small, carefully placed water-ballast
      tanks built in.
      (And wearing an anti-design-altering flame suit)
      Jeff

    • KF4call@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2000
        To all,
        There is another safety related design characteristic that is not yet
        been mentioned here...it is the "self righting" capacity of the boat. When I
        was faced with the choice, I went with a weighted keel design. This was
        because the boat was also described as "self righting". (Bolger designed
        Oldshoe) Is it possible to get "self righting" capability that will work in
        most conditions in an unballasted boat? Here in Florida , USA, we must be
        prepared for sudden afternoon thunderstorms with winds that have substantial
        strength and unpredictable direction , but (in my sailing area) not
        especially large seas.
        Regards, Warren
      • wmrpage@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2000
          UncleRalph@... writes:

          << which would
          you rather be in - an unballasted Chebacco or a ballasted Romilly?

          IMHO - I'd rather be in a boat that floats! This advice from someone who
          managed to sink a "Bolgeresque" boat in 3' of water not 2 miles for Port
          Everglades (or whatever) with two elderly gentlemen aboard and ended up
          seriously worried about the likelihood that hypothermia would be a problem.

          Bill in MN
        • Frank San Miguel
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 7, 2000
            at the risk of beating a dead horse,...

            I sailed a completely open boat, a 21' Drascombe Longboat, for 20
            years and I would rather weather a gale on her than on most 30
            footers that I know of.

            She draws 1', is lightly ballasted in the form of a galvanized steel
            centerboard and has positive flotation in the form of foam laced
            under the seats, but it is her rig that sets her apart. I've never
            had to test her floatation even though I've sailed her through storms
            in the Chesapeake with a double reefed main and furled jib and mizzen
            eating a peanut butter sandwich while most of the big guys scurried
            in to harbor (and done other stupid things besides).

            In my opinion, the rig contributes most to a boat's seaworthiness,
            sail shortening effectiveness being the most important. Next comes
            ballast & hull shape. To contrast, I also sailed a Rhodes 19 with a
            deep bulb keel when I was growing up, but the shallow, light,
            centerboard Drascombe (21' ft) was easily 10 times more able in a
            storm.

            Frank San Miguel
            Monument, CO