Re: diablo

  • David Jost
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2000
      I can do a measured mile in 5 minutes. With my 50lb weight (son) and
      the 10 HP longshaft Johnson.
      In reference to beefing up the transom on an Enterprise. The
      Holt/Allen version in the 60's used a double sided fiberglass frame
      that was only supported down the center by what used to be a 5" wide
      mahogany strip that is inevitable soaked and rotten by now. I would
      not put a motor on this boat. to go under a bridge with it I once
      just released the forestay and then paddled under the bridge then
      raised the mast again. This takes no more than 15 minutes.

      David Jost

      --- In bolger@egroups.com, "curtis betts" <curtis@f...> wrote:
      > Jim,
      >
      > I don't know actual speeds, I'll have to set up a measured mile
      > sometime, and get a watch.
      >
      > As noted previously, Diablo does well with a 15 short shaft.
      Quick,
      > not scary, and smooth, forgiving handling. A bigger (20-25?) long
      > shaft would be an improvement with a full crew or cargo. An 8 is
      > hopeless. Diablo is a lot more stable than it feels. The narrow
      > bottom makes it feel tender, and if two people stand on the
      gunwale,
      > it will heel right over onto the chine, but stop there.
      >
      > Skimmer is a fun toy. Not a real boat, too scary, and seems like
      it
      > will trip in a turn. Once up on a plane, 8 and 15 both rev right
      up,
      > and I'd like to try faster props. The optimum motor is the one
      that
      > doesn't cost anything, and that you won't mind losing. Wear your
      life
      > jacket.
      >
      > I have the sense that it's riding not on the runners, which are
      about
      > 1.5" square and a bit worn, but on the bottom. Pounds a lot in
      even
      > small chop; perhaps bigger runners, or waterskis screwed on the
      > existing ones?
      >
      > A lighter driver would be better; My daughter will be 5 next
      summer,
      > and I'll bet it will fly ;)
      >
      > Looking at the TNT (www.glen-l.com)gets me thinking Skimmer needs a
      > seat, maybe a lawn chair and tiller extension. It's pretty
      > uncomfortable as designed.
      >
      > Curtis
      >
      > --- In bolger@egroups.com, Jim Goeckermann <jim@s...> wrote:
      > > Curtis,
      > > I'd be interested in all that you have to say about both the
      > Skimmer and
      > > Diablo - especially the speds possible with given horsepower that
      > you have
      > > used. Does the skimmer end up being fun on calm water, and is it
      > as stable
      > > as ( reports of) the Diablo?
      > > How wide are your skimmer runners? What would be the optimum
      motor
      > for the
      > > skimmer - to turn it into a poorman's TNT, if you know that
      Glen-l