[bolger] Re: Door skins & glass

  • GHC
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
      Actually, glass is very, very, very strong. A good fir might be 14,000 psi
      in tensile strength (at best with no flaws), but E glass is good for
      450,000 psi! It's relatively dense, though, and a thin sheet of plywood
      doesn't spread it apart very far for your composite sandwich. Wood is
      light, and relatively strong, so it's easier to get a lot more wood in a
      structure than glass (with minimal resin).

      In bending of a panel, the tensile and compressive stresses do lie on the
      surface, but the shear flows through the middle, trying to separate your
      sandwich. Your core needs to have good material properties, like balsa or
      klegecell, not like blue styrofoam.

      Gregg Carlson

    • bianco@asi.it
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 1999
        Just as an added info, Jacques Mertens of bateau.com is reengineering
        his larger boats (Vagabond and Serpentaire) using thin plywood (6 mm)
        sandwiched between two layers of biaxial fiberglass (9 oz) in epoxy
        resin. The advantages are not only structural: the 6mm plywood is much
        easier to bend and wrap around bulkheads than thicker stuff. Jacques
        says that such sandwich is significantly stronger than 9 mm plywood.
        According to my computations, though, the gain in weight is very
        limited if any, and the overall cost is very significantly increased.
        And, folks, just think about crawling into a 6 meter hull and laminated
        10 square meters of biaxial cloth...
        Best, Pippo

        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=643