Re: [bolger] Safety of ballasted vs. unballasted open boats

  • Chris Crandall
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2000
      On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Ralph Wight wrote:

      > I am considering building either a Bolger designed Chebacco or a Nigel
      > Irens Romilly for my next boat building project. They have a number
      > of similarities:

      Despite the apparent similarities, these are very different boats.
      Chebacco is explicitly designed to be easy to build--Romilly is not.

      Strip-plank construction is SLOW. Chebacco is designed for
      plywood--either clinker/lapstrake or stitch and glue.

      Romilly is substantially leas beamy than Chebacco, if memory serves.
      That's why it needs the ballast, rather than relying on form.

      I'll bet Romilly will take 2-3 times as long to build, cost substantially
      more, sail faster, have less room below (compare cubic feet of interior),
      and will have substantially less support, either on the Net, or from pals.

      In sum--they're different boats, and Chebacco is easier on almost every
      dimension. Except speed.

      Chris Crandall crandall@... (785) 864-4131
      Department of Psychology University of Kansas Lawrence, KS 66045
      I have data convincingly disconfirming the Duhem-Quine hypothesis.
    • Peter Vanderwaart
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2000
        > I am considering building either a Bolger designed Chebacco or a
        > Nigel
        > Irens Romilly for my next boat building project.

        You pose a very interesting questions, especially since the Romilly
        was designed (I suppose) for English weather (windy) and Chebacco for
        USA weather (calm). I think that for comfort and pleasure in sailing
        there may be an arguement for each in her home waters. However, you
        asked about safety.

        I think without a doubt that operator skill is a very important part
        of safety in any open boat. If, in heavy weather, Romilly has an
        easier motion, then her crew may make fewer mistakes, and bad
        accidents would be rarer. I think it is probably true that in REALLY,
        REALLY bad weather, Chebacco may by thrown around out of control in
        conditions where Romilly can still cope.

        But, if a bad accident happens, I think you are probably better off
        with Chebacco.

        Peter
      • Ralph Wight
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2000
          --- In bolger@egroups.com, Chris Crandall <crandall@u...> wrote:

          > I'll bet Romilly will take 2-3 times as long to build,

          Chris,
          That just means it will be that much sooner that I have to figure out
          what to build next. :-) Heck, I'm only half done with my current boat
          and I am trying to figure out what I want to build next.

          Ralph Wight (looking for a Boat Builders Anonymous group)