Re: fiberglass butt joints & a note on Toto

  • Garth Battista
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2000
      > I'm just starting a Michalak Toto and have a question
      > regarding fiberglass butt joints.

      To Bill and anyone else starting a Toto:

      This is a little thing, and not really Bolger, but maybe worth
      mentioning. When I cut all the panels as indicated for my Toto this
      spring, the bilge panel overlapped the side panel in a weird way. I e-
      mailed Jim Michalak about it and he said, yes, there's a small
      problem with the blueprints. (Maybe he's corrected it on sets sent
      out since then?)
      For what it's worth, here's my note to him. Basically, you
      should recalculate the dimensions of the bilge panel at each frame
      location (to match the dimension of the frame there), and draw the
      panel slightly differently than indicated.

      Here's my note to Jim:

      I recently bought the Toto plans from you and am in the midst of
      building it. I cut all the frames and bulkheads and panels to your
      measurements on the blueprint, and then went to fit them all
      together. Everything looked great as the sides went onto the frames
      and the gunwales got fit on.

      Then when it came time to install the bilge panels, I noticed that
      the aft edge of the bilge panel was too wide for the portion of the
      transom that was to receive it. I thought, did I really cut it that
      bad? It overlaps the side by about ¼". Then I checked your
      drawing
      and noticed that if you work out the length of that angled section of
      the transom, using the right triangle indicated by some of the given
      dimensions of the transom, that section which is to receive the end
      of the bilge panel comes out to exactly 4.717". But the bilge
      panel
      is explicitly 5" wide there. Hence my overlap.

      Then I checked the match-up of the angled section of the other frames
      and bulkheads vs. the dimension of the bilge panel at their locations
      – and bulkhead 10 is also a bit undersized to receive the
      indicated
      bilge panel (7.846" on the bulkhead vs. 8.125" on the panel)
      and the
      other bulkhead/frames (at 7, 4, and 2) are all a bit bigger than the
      bilge panel – which is much easier to deal with.

      I'll just recut the bilge panel to try to make it fit the space
      available for it.

      Just a note based on my experience: recutting the panel to fit the
      frames after the fact makes for curves that aren't quite fair. Best
      to fix it early on.

      For what it's worth,
      Garth