Micro Trawler, Hawkeye, Retriever options?

  • WillieW
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2010
      Hi all,
      I have had a set of plans for the Micro Trawler for a few years. Life, a divorce ending 30 years of marriage taking the wind out of my sails; determined that I want a boat that is about 2 to 3 feet longer than the Micro Trawler. So "things" have postponed my persuing the build, or an alternative. Well you understand.
      I live on the Columbia River near Astoria Oregon, USA. I have children that live in Eastern WA, and Idaho. I thought it might be interesting to take an exploration up river and visit them along the way... Maybe someday also visit the east coast and do the intercoastal waterway... Or some overnight cruises here and there. I could also trailer up the coast and try the San Juans.
      I recently retired, thinking now I will have more time, however, I guess you just have to make time, period.
      I have built a few boats in my life, a minimax hydro at age 15, then a 1 sheet plywood sailboat, later, three wood over frame boats, two stitch and glue, and I did work at a boat manufacturer for 5 years building 21 to 30 foot fiberglass sailboats. Not fond of fiberglass boats, however it at least kept me around the boating community. From there I went to manning a 100 foot tug off and on for 20 years, and working around the pier when not on the tug. Did a couple father son boat project building a couple pirouge's.
      I'm looking for at least study plans for these two other boats, (which I understand may have never been actually available as study plans individually), or some pretty detailed information instead of a distant picture of one built. I have ordered the book, "Boats with an open mind", and hopefully that may give me some insite, but am told it will be a month before I get it.
      Thinking at first, I'll just take the plans I have and maybe I could build a stretched Micro Trawler; however, I would rather spend the energy actually building the boat, rather than trying to get into modifying a set of plans, at least the hull design, and end up with something that is unsafe at any speed. I'm not in a financial position to be making costly errors..
      Every month I see ads that have someones dream boat for sale almost finished; sadly being sold by them from their assisted living bed or by their estate. I don't want to be in that boat.. (no pun intended)
      Thanx,
      WW
    • Rick Bedard
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 4, 2010
        I built and still own a Bolger Microtrawler, "Reddy". I built it (with Bolger's blessings) as an "open cockpit" version, with no aft doghouse. Looks more like a tug than a trawler. There are pics in the photo section. Several times over the years I entertained the thought of cutting it in half just forward of the main bulkhead and splicing in an 8' cabin (might as well use the full length of plywood sheets) making a great living space between the pilothouse and aft cockpit. I think it would make a great cruiser, sort of a simplified Retriever.... and because of the shape and form of Microtrawler it really wouldn't be hard to do. I made a cardboard model, wrote up a bill of materials and somewhere there is a photoshopped pic of Reddy "cut" in half in my driveway and another pic of her "stretched" beached at a local lake...
         I never had both the money and desire at the same moment, so it didn't happen, yet I often wish I had,  and now I'm deep into the construction of a pilothouse motorsailing catamaran.... I'd guess I won't ever get around  to modifying Reddy and should get serious about selling her.

        Anyway I think you should photo copy the plan and cut it at the bulkhead and you'll see how easily it would stretch. Then spend a few hours building a cardstock model.

        Rick

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            bolger-digest@yahoogroups.com
            bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • robertchamberland
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2010
          You might think of a variant of "Hawkeye". I would suggest using the basic "Hawkeye" hull but eliminate the well and hang the engine off the transom as is done on the "Micro-". Then modify the "Micro" cabin design to fit the "Hawkeye" hull. I did some studies of this strategy but in the end built a different variant with a pilot house and raised deck forward with bunks under. This strategy would be easier than trying to modify the "Micro" hull design. If you are interested I can provide you with a slew of photos of the construction of "Hawkeye" and some of my sketches of other variations.
          Bob Chamberland

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "WillieW" <woldwillie@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > I have had a set of plans for the Micro Trawler for a few years. Life, a divorce ending 30 years of marriage taking the wind out of my sails; determined that I want a boat that is about 2 to 3 feet longer than the Micro Trawler. So "things" have postponed my persuing the build, or an alternative. Well you understand.
          > I live on the Columbia River near Astoria Oregon, USA. I have children that live in Eastern WA, and Idaho. I thought it might be interesting to take an exploration up river and visit them along the way... Maybe someday also visit the east coast and do the intercoastal waterway... Or some overnight cruises here and there. I could also trailer up the coast and try the San Juans.
          > I recently retired, thinking now I will have more time, however, I guess you just have to make time, period.
          > I have built a few boats in my life, a minimax hydro at age 15, then a 1 sheet plywood sailboat, later, three wood over frame boats, two stitch and glue, and I did work at a boat manufacturer for 5 years building 21 to 30 foot fiberglass sailboats. Not fond of fiberglass boats, however it at least kept me around the boating community. From there I went to manning a 100 foot tug off and on for 20 years, and working around the pier when not on the tug. Did a couple father son boat project building a couple pirouge's.
          > I'm looking for at least study plans for these two other boats, (which I understand may have never been actually available as study plans individually), or some pretty detailed information instead of a distant picture of one built. I have ordered the book, "Boats with an open mind", and hopefully that may give me some insite, but am told it will be a month before I get it.
          > Thinking at first, I'll just take the plans I have and maybe I could build a stretched Micro Trawler; however, I would rather spend the energy actually building the boat, rather than trying to get into modifying a set of plans, at least the hull design, and end up with something that is unsafe at any speed. I'm not in a financial position to be making costly errors..
          > Every month I see ads that have someones dream boat for sale almost finished; sadly being sold by them from their assisted living bed or by their estate. I don't want to be in that boat.. (no pun intended)
          > Thanx,
          > WW

        • daschultz2000
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 5, 2010
            I think a 4' stretch of MT is not a huge deal. I suggest adding the length aft rather than a plug in the middle.

            I have Hawkeye plans. It is already 18' Bolger included sketches (not much detail) for a MT like cabin. Hawkeye has little in common with MT from a construction standpoint. Although 4 ' feet longer, the weight is about the same as MT or lighter, but w/o a cabin as originally built.

            Lastly, Retriever was one of Bolger's near misses. It either builds up heavier than he thought or for some other reason is draggier that he expected because it took substantially more HP to get it on plane than he expected. That said, the cabin design is excellent for camp cruising.
          • WillieW
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 5, 2010
              Hi,
              Bingo..I'd rather have bunks in a raised forepeak and a little open space in the stern for at least a folding chair or two. I like your idea.
              WW

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "robertchamberland" <chamberlands@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > Thinking at first, I'll just take the plans I have and maybe I could build a stretched Micro Trawler; however, I would rather spend the energy actually building the boat, rather than trying to get into modifying a set of plans, at least the hull design, and end up with something that is unsafe at any speed. I'm not in a financial position to be making costly errors..
              > > Every month I see ads that have someones dream boat for sale almost finished; sadly being sold by them from their assisted living bed or by their estate. I don't want to be in that boat.. (no pun intended)

            • Mark Albanese
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 5, 2010
                Will,

                This is almost all opinion, but I'd think starting with the Hawkeye would be very straightforward for any superstructure you might add. That's what it's for, though Philip Bolger cautioned it could get pretty clunky looking. Stretching hulls is amazingly simple via computer.

                All you'd lose in Hawkeye is the footwell to the internal webs. But for rougher water I might want to find a way to at least partly integrate them anyway.

                It could pay to be very careful and tentative in stretching Microtrawler. Some guys right off the tops of their heads could adjust all those many interior dimensions by this and that as they go along. Me, I'd get a headache.

                Not to mention whether the shoe fits anymore.
                Mark

                On Sep 5, 2010, at 9:37 PM, WillieW wrote:

> [...]

                > > Thinking at first, I'll just take the plans I have and maybe I could build a stretched Micro Trawler; however, I would rather spend the energy actually building the boat, rather than trying to get into modifying a set of plans, at least the hull design, and end up with something that is unsafe at any speed. I'm not in a financial position to be making costly errors..
                > > Every month I see ads that have someones dream boat for sale almost finished; sadly being sold by them from their assisted living bed or by their estate. I don't want to be in that boat.. (no pun intended)

              • Mark Albanese
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 5, 2010
                  Bob,

                  Here are some pictures of the very handsome job you made of Hawkeye.
                  http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/gatherings/kingston/

                  Your material would make a really nice folder for the files.
                  Mark

                  On Sep 5, 2010, at 8:52 AM, robertchamberland wrote:
                  > If you are interested I can provide you with a slew of photos of
                  > the construction of "Hawkeye" and some of my sketches of other
                  > variations.
                  > Bob Chamberland
                  >
                  > --
                • Mark Albanese
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 6, 2010
                    This scheme that Willie et al are cooking up has me thinking about
                    Watervan.
                    Why not Apply the same treatment? If Microtrawler is all accomodation
                    and Hawkeye all deck, an open WV hull, say trimmed to the 32" midship
                    sheer line, would have capacity to thoroughly combine the two.

                    (Here, I try attachments yet again.)
                  • apraphett777
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 6, 2010
                      If I remember right MAIB had a cartoon for a stretched MT it seems like it may have been about 18" I always thought that would be the one to build seems like the cabin had a double bunk .