Re: [bolger] Re: Isometric of Birdwatcher

  • Adirondack Goodboat
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
      Nels, I hadn't read Bob Larkin's account of sailing the Birdwatcher 2 with his various sails and combinations. He certainly is a great observer and fixer and experimenter, an asset to all who build the design. Everything he says makes good sense to me. I think my experience of bringing down the Solent lug was better, maybe because I never had particularly hard conditions. It comes down, is the main thing, and fast if you let it. I think I developed a practice whereby I kept downward tension on the luff while letting the halyard slip through the other hand, so as to keep the yard under control. I do that when lowering the standing lug on my Goodboats. It seemed important, if I remember rightly, to be able to let the foot of the yard go forward as it comes down. Except for that, and if it is satisfactory in passing by the snotter block, I guess I can see the contraption at the foot of the yard, turning the rig into a gunther. I tried a sort of parrel which I attached once the foot of the yard was high enough, and the first owner/builder had a shock cord arrangement along the mast to tame the heel of the yard, but in the end I decided to let the solent be the solent.

      I think the best of all these solutions for the Birdwatcher for most of us would be the original leg o' mutton sail, with its luff on a track, and the small jib tacked on deck.

      I too always thought of a mizzen, if only for a steadying sail. I tried a drogue from the bow, but the darn boat sailed around that as badly as around an anchor. So perhaps a short spar with a patch of canvas furled on it, a sprit boom, and two sheets, with a step and partner as far forward as possible, just to clear the main spritboom? But again, too complicated.

      Birdwatcher 1, motor mount sticking through the side, jib, steering as designed, motor seldom used, oars for all close maneuvers.  That would be my formula.  ---Mason
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
        If we are going to think out of the box considering shape and construction of boats why not think out of the box about anchoring? Whatever driving sails are best for Birdwatcher or Whalewatcher is there any good reason not to anchor from the stern and pretend the stern is the bow? That would make the boat very stable at anchor. The purpose of anchoring is to keep the boat safe and the crew comfortable. Anchoring from the stern does both these things better than bow anchoring a boat that does not lie well to a bow anchor. Anchoring from the stern would make the cockpit foremost to the wind which would be desirable when it is hot. It might interfere with a tented over cockpit, but I would think the tent could be arranged to deal with the wind from that direction. Another possibility is to anchor from a quarter cleat to tame the trashing back and forth, but I don't think it is as good a solution as stern anchoring. To get underway it would be easy to switch to bow anchoring by attaching a line from the bow to the anchor rode using a rolling hitch and then releasing the anchor rode. However, Chinese Lug (junk) and Balanced Lug sails can be lowered and raised on any point of sail so stern anchoring is no problem what-so-ever, so any boat rigged this way need not be concerned with which end of the boat the anchor line extends from.
        Eric

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mason smith" <goodboat@...> wrote:

        > Nels, that would take some thinking. That is, to decide whether to use the Solent Lug or not on another Birdwtcher. I'd probably go for it. I solved the problems of rigging well enough. You need a very good downhaul setup to get enough tension on the halyard and luff, and I did that with a two-part downhaul using the crincle in the tack as if it were a block, and leading the fall down through the mast partner bracing to a cleat farther down on the mast. Also solved the storage matters on deck for the extra spar, the yard. I liked the extra horsepower. But as compared with furling by rolling the mainsail up on its leech, dropping the whole sail inboard and then fisting it into some sort of order was a nuisance. One could leave the yard up and roll from the leech some times, but the windage would be great in any breeze and you'd want the thing down. That can be a worse problem with the simpler sail: the windage can be so great that it is dangerous to try to take down the spar with furled sail on it. There's a point in lowering that spar where as a huge lever it has the advantage of you, and it feels as if it could pry apart the boat. Phil and Susanne and I met such conditions at the No Octane Regatta, and left the rig up and the boat at anchor overnight rather than risk a disaster in lowering it. Such would never be the problem with the Solent. By the way we could not, or I could not, keep the Birdwatcher from swinging hugely around its anchor, lickety-hell, alike to sever the head from any swimmer near.
        >
        > I would say that the Lug is ultimately a safer rig and that the biggest disadvantage with it is having the sail fill the cabin/cockpit when you drop it. This would, by the way, be no great problem at all with another person helping. I speak from doing it solo. I furled what I could to the yard and let much of the lower forward part hang inside, kinda messy when it wasn't bagged.
        >
        > ---Mason

      • prairiedog2332
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
          Mason,

          Definitely a track on the main would help I would think. Too bad one
          could not install a track on the yard. Can't help thinking maybe a bit
          smaller sail with no battens and a lighter yard as well. Maybe carbon
          fiber or an old windsurfer mast?

          Maybe if going out solo just reef the solent rig before heading out?
          Probably a second shorter sprit boom so the forward end doesn't hang up
          on the jib when tacking? Sure, it doesn't look as "neat" at the foot
          but that area of the sail is not in much wind anyway. Is it easier to
          shake out a reef than tie one in, in case the wind goes light and looks
          like it will stay that way?

          Looks like this would bring the top of the yard down to about the height
          of the original mast and bottom of it down to a reachable height if you
          want to drop it into the slot.

          http://www.proaxis.com/~boblark/Image1.jpg

          Do you think a 3.5 would work on a bracket? I have a line on a 3.5
          2-stroke Tohatsu. (with reverse)

          Nels

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Adirondack Goodboat" <goodboat@...>
          wrote:

          > Nels, I hadn't read Bob Larkin's account of sailing the Birdwatcher 2
          with his various sails and combinations. He certainly is a great
          observer and fixer and experimenter, an asset to all who build the
          design. Everything he says makes good sense to me. I think my experience
          of bringing down the Solent lug was better, maybe because I never had
          particularly hard conditions. It comes down, is the main thing, and fast
          if you let it. I think I developed a practice whereby I kept downward
          tension on the luff while letting the halyard slip through the other
          hand, so as to keep the yard under control. I do that when lowering the
          standing lug on my Goodboats. It seemed important, if I remember
          rightly, to be able to let the foot of the yard go forward as it comes
          down. Except for that, and if it is satisfactory in passing by the
          snotter block, I guess I can see the contraption at the foot of the
          yard, turning the rig into a gunther. I tried a sort of parrel which I
          attached once the foot of the yard was high enough, and the first
          owner/builder had a shock cord arrangement along the mast to tame the
          heel of the yard, but in the end I decided to let the solent be the
          solent.

          > I think the best of all these solutions for the Birdwatcher for most
          of us would be the original leg o' mutton sail, with its luff on a
          track, and the small jib tacked on deck.

          > I too always thought of a mizzen, if only for a steadying sail. I
          tried a drogue from the bow, but the darn boat sailed around that as
          badly as around an anchor. So perhaps a short spar with a patch of
          canvas furled on it, a sprit boom, and two sheets, with a step and
          partner as far forward as possible, just to clear the main spritboom?
          But again, too complicated.

          > Birdwatcher 1, motor mount sticking through the side, jib, steering as
          designed, motor seldom used, oars for all close maneuvers. That would
          be my formula. ---Mason

        • prairiedog2332
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
            Sounds to me like a very good thought.

            Where I am located there is a lot of sand beaches. No tides. So had
            thought to just haul up a bit on the beach in a sheltered spot and tie
            to a tree. Drop an anchor off the stern.

            What are your thoughts on a small flat storm jib sheeted in, if
            anchoring off the stern?

            Nels

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <eric14850@...> wrote:

> [...]
            as a huge lever it has the advantage of you, and it feels as if it could
            pry apart the boat. Phil and Susanne and I met such conditions at the No
            Octane Regatta, and left the rig up and the boat at anchor overnight
            rather than risk a disaster in lowering it. Such would never be the
            problem with the Solent. By the way we could not, or I could not, keep
            the Birdwatcher from swinging hugely around its anchor, lickety-hell,
            alike to sever the head from any swimmer near.

            > > I would say that the Lug is ultimately a safer rig and that the
            biggest disadvantage with it is having the sail fill the cabin/cockpit
            when you drop it. This would, by the way, be no great problem at all
            with another person helping. I speak from doing it solo. I furled what I
            could to the yard and let much of the lower forward part hang inside,

          • Eric
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
              I would expect the windage and location of the mast on Birdwatcher are sufficient to cause Birdwatcher to lie happily to its anchor if anchored from the stern rather than the bow. I like the uncomplicated elegance of function of Birdwatcher and think another boat should be chosen before adding complication. Hopefully even a little chunk of extra sail and its extra lines would not be needed.

              I just realized Whalewatcher is yawl rigged and the mizzen might as well be built as an effective riding sail so Whalewatcher will lie happily to a bow anchor.
              Eric

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "prairiedog2332" <arvent@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > as a huge lever it has the advantage of you, and it feels as if it could
              > pry apart the boat. Phil and Susanne and I met such conditions at the No
              > Octane Regatta, and left the rig up and the boat at anchor overnight
              > rather than risk a disaster in lowering it. Such would never be the
              > problem with the Solent. By the way we could not, or I could not, keep
              > the Birdwatcher from swinging hugely around its anchor, lickety-hell,
              > alike to sever the head from any swimmer near.
              > > >
              > > > I would say that the Lug is ultimately a safer rig and that the
              > biggest disadvantage with it is having the sail fill the cabin/cockpit
              > when you drop it. This would, by the way, be no great problem at all
              > with another person helping. I speak from doing it solo. I furled what I
              > could to the yard and let much of the lower forward part hang inside,

            • Adirondack Goodboat
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010
                I believe we did try stern anchoring the Birdwatcher and the boat still swept huge arcs at high speed. It seemed to me that the hull becomes an airfoil, developing high pressure and low pressure sides, and flies until it can fly no more, on each tack.

> [...]

                > I would say that the Lug is ultimately a safer rig and that the biggest disadvantage with it is having the sail fill the cabin/cockpit when you drop it. This would, by the way, be no great problem at all with another person helping. I speak from doing it solo. I furled what I could to the yard and let much of the lower forward part hang inside, kinda messy when it wasn't bagged.

              • Eric
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010
                  Then riding sail it is. A V of sail would be most effective with the ends of the V fastened to quarter cleats. If flown off a temporary back stay bow anchoring would be possible. I'd probably stern anchor and fly the V wrapped around the mast and ends to quarter cleats. Glad to hear you tried stern anchoring. I'm surprised it didn't tame things.
                  Eric

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Adirondack Goodboat" <goodboat@...> wrote:

                  > I believe we did try stern anchoring the Birdwatcher and the boat still swept huge arcs at high speed. It seemed to me that the hull becomes an airfoil, developing high pressure and low pressure sides, and flies until it can fly no more, on each tack.

                • Adirondack Goodboat
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010
                    Rick suggests beaching and really that's the answer where possible. I think where Phil envisioned this boat being used most, like the Dovekie, salt marshes and tidal estuaries, you'd seldom anchor in the open, very often put out a stern anchor and run the boat on the beach or just anchor in shallow, sheltered places, very close in to shore. I'm thinking of one beautiful full moon night on the Crooked River, in Georgia, just inside Cumberland Island. Such a lovely anchorage! But with the full moon and a nice breeze I couldn't pass up sailing for an hour in the middle of the night. Kept running the bow into the grasses in the shadows and having to pole back out into the stream. I don't know if Dovekie would sail around her anchor or not and don't care. ---Mason

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010
                      >anchorage! . ---Mason

                      Just curious, did you try anchoring with the dagger board down? How
                      did that effect the stability at anchor? The physics of why boats
                      swing around their anchor escapes my logic. I also wonder if dropping
                      overboard a 5 gallon bucket on a rope might tame things.
                    • Eric
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010
                        No expertise but will begin the discussion of why boats swing at anchor: Hull shape: Sailboats are designed so that almost any force applied to the hull will cause it to move forward. Windage and CLR (Center of Lateral Resistance). On the same hull a schooner will lie quieter to its anchor than a ketch, yawl, sloop, cutter, or cat. Traditional cats have full keels and lie quietly to their anchor, as do most if not all full keel sailboats. Modern sloops/cutters have shallow hulls and fin keels whose CLR is aft of the significant windage of the mast and its rigging, and they charge back and forth at anchor. Riding sails rigged from back stays and mizzen masts tame things considerably. Though a five gallon bucket would work marginally, an anchor or bucket full of sand/rocks or any other weight at the end of a rope just a bit longer than the depth of the water can be used effectively to quiet things as it drags along the bottom (not ecological). Two anchors in a V on out to 180* Bahamian Moor can also help but this reduces the effectiveness of each anchor for the same reasons that reaching up to pull the halyard out from the mast so as to be able to haul it a little tighter gives you extra leverage pulling the peak of the sail up (or anchor out when anchoring).
                        Eric

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 6, 2010
                          No daggerboard on Birdwatcher and no experience anchoring Dovekie in a blow but I suspect the daggerboard would help some. We surely must have tried the centerboard down in anchoring the Birdwatchers without preventing the swinging. The bucket idea is similar to the idea of veering out a drogue astern and I think it would help or at least shorten the range of the swinging. I didn't have my Birdwatchers long enough to confront this problem and possibly solve it.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 6, 2010
                            Well, try your V sail from mast and stern anchoring, but doing so in the spirit of experiment. I wouldn't guarantee a thing but I have just thought of another argument in favor of stern anchoring. It is that you will probably be trimming the boat by the bow if you are aboard, especially two of you, and thus you might contribute to help the boat weathervane more steadily. Tidal current would reverse the effect, no? But we are not talking about tide. -- Mason

                            Then riding sail it is. A V of sail would be most effective with the ends of the V fastened to quarter cleats. If flown off a temporary back stay bow anchoring would be possible. I'd probably stern anchor and fly the V wrapped around the mast and ends to quarter cleats. Glad to hear you tried stern anchoring. I'm surprised it didn't tame things.
                            Eric

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Adirondack Goodboat" <goodboat@...> wrote:

                            > I believe we did try stern anchoring the Birdwatcher and the boat still swept huge arcs at high speed. It seemed to me that the hull becomes an airfoil, developing high pressure and low pressure sides, and flies until it can fly no more, on each tack.

                          • Rob Kellock
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 7, 2010
                              Dunno about Birdwatcher, but I have tested my Michalak Philsboat (a smaller Birdwatcher cabin style sailboat with a transom stern) at anchor in various configurations. It charges at anchor from the bow and swings quite a bit less from the stern. However with the lugsail furled down into it's lazyjacks, both the leeboard and rudder raised (my feeling is that you don't want any underwater appendages impeding the hull aligning itself to the wind), and a jib pulled hard to the centre of the boat as a riding sail it hardly moves at all. I have a cleat on each quarter with a rope between and a bowline in the centre to which I attach the stern anchor.

                              Despite all this, my preferred anchoring technique with these extreme shoal draft boats, if I am to sleep in them, is to anchor just off the shoreline in calf deep water with the bow to shore attached to a shoreline and the stern anchor in deeper water as it pounds much less than the bow.

                              Cheers,

                              Rob.

                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Adirondack Goodboat" <goodboat@...> wrote:

                              > Well, try your V sail from mast and stern anchoring, but doing so in the spirit of experiment. I wouldn't guarantee a thing but I have just thought of another argument in favor of stern anchoring. It is that you will probably be trimming the boat by the bow if you are aboard, especially two of you, and thus you might contribute to help the boat weathervane more steadily. Tidal current would reverse the effect, no? But we are not talking about tide. -- Mason
                            • Chester Young
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 7, 2010

                                To stop the charging at anchor of my Tennessee (EstherMae) I took a small sail and rigged it on the transom, in a fixed position.  It all but eliminated the problem during the one use it had last year just before Thanksgiving.  Prior to that if the wind was blowing strong enough it would occasionally jerk hard enough to wake a person.  I would call it a major improvement with minor investment.

                                Caloosarat

                              • Susanne@comcast.net
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 7, 2010
                                  On BIRDWATCHER, does the hunting occur with the board down? Perhaps I overlooked a corresponding note somewhere...
                                  Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 7, 2010
                                    Yep I did miss an obvious line just a couple posts earlier...  Sleeping aboard #639 JOCHEMS schooner anchored out I don't recall hunting.  Perhaps I was too tired that night.  Can't recall many particulars but I believe the sails were furled.  The other nights we were beached somewhere...

                                    Is Bob Stover in Oregon part of the Group ?  His #639 should offer insights, such as leeboard position, mainsail up when anchored, etc.  Do schooner-rigs help ?

                                    Susanne Altenburger, PB&F

                                    On BIRDWATCHER, does the hunting occur with the board down? Perhaps I overlooked a corresponding note somewhere...
                                    Susanne Altenburger, PB&F
                                    To stop the charging at anchor of my Tennessee (EstherMae) I took a small sail and rigged it on the transom, in a fixed position.  It all but eliminated the problem during the one use it had last year just before Thanksgiving.  Prior to that if the wind was blowing strong enough it would occasionally jerk hard enough to wake a person.  I would call it a major improvement with minor investment.

                                    Caloosarat

                                    Dunno about Birdwatcher, but I have tested my Michalak Philsboat (a smaller Birdwatcher cabin style sailboat with a transom stern) at anchor in various configurations. It charges at anchor from the bow and swings quite a bit less from the stern. However with the lugsail furled down into it's lazyjacks, both the leeboard and rudder raised (my feeling is that you don't want any underwater appendages impeding the hull aligning itself to the wind), and a jib pulled hard to the centre of the boat as a riding sail it hardly moves at all. I have a cleat on each quarter with a rope between and a bowline in the centre to which I attach the stern anchor.

                                    Despite all this, my preferred anchoring technique with these extreme shoal draft boats, if I am to sleep in them, is to anchor just off the shoreline in calf deep water with the bow to shore attached to a shoreline and the stern anchor in deeper water as it pounds much less than the bow.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Rob.

                                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Adirondack Goodboat" <goodboat@...> wrote:

                                    > Well, try your V sail from mast and stern anchoring, but doing so in the spirit of experiment. I wouldn't guarantee a thing but I have just thought of another argument in favor of stern anchoring. It is that you will probably be trimming the boat by the bow if you are aboard, especially two of you, and thus you might contribute to help the boat weathervane more steadily. Tidal current would reverse the effect, no? But we are not talking about tide. -- Mason

                                  • boblarkin02
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 7, 2010
                                      First, thanks Bruce for the isometrics. I always learn a lot from these.

                                      I have spent a bunch of nights at anchor with my BW-II, Wave Watcher. I have never noticed it to sail around the anchor enough to be a problem. I always have the OCB down at least half way, as that allows full access to the stuff back behind. What I do notice, however is the ability of the long narrow sharpie hull to rotate beam to waves. Shelter from wakes is important at sleeping time.

                                      Also, on sails, I am still using the big Solent lug when I am not alone. If single handing, the small main is great, and if it is a cruise, I leave the big sail at home.

                                      I might add that my collection of sails for the BW-II (Solent main, small main, jib, and now maybe a mizzen) is the result of evolution, and if one has the luxury of planning things from the beginning, the sail choices would be different, most likely. For instance, if two of us go on a little cruise, we would like to take both mains. But this requires two booms and a yard, along with two mainsails. When you include all the personal items plus food, it makes a full boat! It would be nice to have all the flexibility, but only need one reefable mainsail and one boom.

                                      BTW, I am headed to the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival in a few hours where the BW-II will be exhibited in the water. I hope to meet a bunch of Bolger enthusiasts there. I will be back in a week and catch up on this thread.

                                      Bob Larkin
                                      Corvallis, OR